how do you create new snare and kick drums ? that trap music introduces usually

varun213

I noticed every 2-3 years a new snare drum or kick is introduced to the game and everybody hops on it. My question is where and how do producers create these catchy snares and kicks? Right now there is one hi hat that is on almost every track. The higher pitched "tick tick" hi hats are out of style and I barely ever hear them. Its more of a down pitched a bit more thicker hi hat.

Do producers like Southside and Metro boomin just experiment using analog drum machines and create a new snare?

i know sometimes producers just layer samples on top of samples and manipulate them to get a cool sound, thats what i do with my hats and snares. synthesizing them is a possibility but seeing as how no one in the hip hop community is really familiar with synthesizing past the basics i dont think thats as likely.

They work the basic functions of their tools. They experiment, and blend elements they hear around them. That's really it.

How do people win the lottery? They buy a ticket and a winner is selected. You only hear about the winners.

Then the winner makes a youtube video and says that they blew on the ticket, or prayed every day, or kept a rabbits foot. Now everyone buys a rabbit's foot.

Producers have their own sound and musical identity. Southside has been pretty much consistent with his kits but, people aren't using the same hi-hats, just the same type of EQ techniques and filters. It all depends on your identity. Same goes for snares and every other sample sound. People like a very crisp sounding snare (usually layered with a clap) in trap music. Those big name producers also have a team of paid sound developers and mixers who experiment and found the best sounds for them.

damn where do you find sound developers from that can help you in your music? i always felt they had somebody designing their sounds

You can find videos on how to create your own samples on Youtube. That being said most of the sound you're hearing, "that catchiness," is more so the result of a great engineer and mix. I can the clap and snare that Southside usually uses if you'd like.

Back