How do you choose the key of a HipHop record

Kamran

Hi,
first of all, Im not going to dig into the music theory at all !
I always had this question, which factor you consider when you selecting key of a song in HipHop records,

for example I have 2 versions of the same song in different keys, the difference is 3 semi tones

I didnt transpose the vocal, and didnt transpose the kick , snare and percussion elements (do you usually change the pitch of your kick?), just melodic elements,

I'm really confused, which is more suitable, and what should I consider ?
specially about the BASS, I feel in the higher version BASS is not low enough
should I go with higher version and change the bass instead ? or its because of the notes , no matter what bass I use?

another thing is, which is more enjoyable for listening, specially loudness wise ?
(although Loudness is the last thing in my list)

I'm not sure,
first sorry if the record hasnt been mixed properly yet
I appreciate your help, not specifically about this track but about the beginning, when you actually tracking and recording your bass, whats your rule of thumb and general guidelines

Attachments

• demo 03 _ mix _ transpose _ snippet.mp3
    797 KB · Views: 10
  • demo 04 _ mix _ snippet.mp3
    797 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi Kamran,

To answer your initial question, "How Do You Choose The Key Of A Hip Hop Record", you must choose whatever feels right.

It's really that simple.

The second one sounded better, but it may not for you.

There is no definite answer other than, what you feel is best.

Naturally, what we first come up with may best express the emotions we were trying to portray, but after a little editing and mixing, we may come up with new and better ideas.

So feel it out.

Thanks,
Devin.

Back