How to create a fat kick drum ( Great Guide )

I'd be interested to hear the sounds that came with the MPC... Also, I've always wanted to be able to afford a nice synthesizer. Thanks for your input guys, I'll put it to good use.

I think alot of people completely miss the point with kicks. If you just stop and think what a kick is, it is a short half second burst of a low frequency sound wave. Alot of you say 'how to I get my drums to 'knock' when what you should be saying is 'how do I get my drums to sit properly in a mix?'.

Because what is probably happening is all the other sound waves youve got going on are over powering that short half second burst of low frequency sound wave.

That is why, the best piece of advice given on this thread, full stop, is to turn up your kicks louder than whatever else is going on. Specially your bass line.

Something else funny about these little blighters is to get your kick to cut through the mix better you play about in the 5-10khz range. Yes you play with the high frequencys not the lows.

You have to mould your kick into the MIX. Whats the point in faffing with all this compression and filtering and this and that then going and putting a bassline and bunch of other stuff right over the top of it?

As for gates they were actually designed for use in recording live instruments. For example when recording a rock band and they are all playing in the same room there will be over spill on the mics that are (for example) recording the drums. So you set the gate on the drum (kick, snare or whatever) channel and set it so it cuts out all the over spill and only allows the desired sounds through.

All that guy was saying was, what is the point of setting up a gate and faffing with that, when you can achieve exactly what a gate would achieve in your sampler?

Concentrate on your mix more than how your kick sounds, the truth is the majority of that 'knock' probably comes through at the mastering stage and some at the mixing stage. Their drums knock louder than yours because when being mixed and mastered they have been passed through a bunch of very expensive wizz bang things and basically they are louder.

Timbo and Kanyes kicks arent better than yours because of some magical process these guys go through when producing the track. They are better because their tracks were mixed in better sounding rooms, with better monitors, better ears listening and better equipment. Or in other words, if you have alot of money, your kicks will bang as much as theirs.

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

Damn just realised this thread is like 10,000 years old :)

Last edited:
I have to agree with derange, moses and sleepy on this one. There is an easy way and a hard way to get your drums to hit hard. I use to try the hard way but I eventually started using good samples, turning the volume down on eveyrhting else except the kick, an it did wonders. Add a little eq an maybe a little compression, if needed, and your good to go. There's no need to overprocess or waste a lot of time on stuff like that.

A good friend of mine told me that, if you need to do alot of stuff to your drums in a track , then you're probably using the wrong drums.

I agree getting good samples is the key. Youd be surprised at how far the use of EQ, Envelopes and filters can take you.

knowing how to use your compressors, gates, and various FX is great when you know WHEN to use them.

(the whole bit about simply turning a release knob, and may i add messing with the start point or attack of your sample is something most of you should spend some time with INSTEAD of pulling on your prick)

i personally dont believe that using a cookie cutter sample that has someone else's cheeto cheese covered fingerprints all over it is ALWAYS the answer.. but how many of you make TRULY unique songs? they mostly sound like youre riding the jock of whatever mainstream producer is "hot" this week anyway.. so whats the difference? most of these tracks have the same used, dried up boom boom clap drum lines anyway.

I SAY.. FIRST WORRY ABOUT YOUR RHYTHMIC PATTERNS AND CHOOSING THE RIGHT SAMPLES TO FIT THE SOUND YOU ARE GOING FOR BEFORE YOU WORRY ABOUT THE DYNAMICS OF A 19 PLUGIN DEEP SIGNAL CHAIN...

when you are done sucking lady kanye mctimbo's shemale baby arm there may be a need for all this gating and whatnot.. until then.. just calm down a little... everyone

i already see people asking for gate presets because their beats don't sound good...

all you'll learn from that post is that it's not worth to waste so much time on one kick.

listen to a wolfgang gartner or a deadmau5 kick drum and tell me that again

Pin this right here, if you don't you don't care about this site at all.

Why? Half of this is shitty advice.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

all that work for just a basskick?! nothing better to do?!

All that would take about 2 minutes to actually implement. But it leaves out the crucial fact that not all kicks function the same way. Cutting lots of stuff above 500Hz? Why? I end up boosting above 500Hz in about 66% of the mixes I work.

Back