How to create a fat kick drum ( Great Guide )

breal said:
Since when did using a simple gate become overprocessing.
Sounds like overstatement to me.
Everytime Someone makes a real statement people try to turn it into 1. "them thinking they know something everyone else doesn't" and 2. "them beleiving their way is the only way to do something".

The only assumption you guys are ever correct with is 1. And it's not them "thinking", it's them knowing. Just like any other pro engineer and 90% of professional producers.

Why not just get good samples to begin with from professionals who knew what they were doing when they adjusted everything? Why have terrabytes or worthless drum libraries? Why compress/eq/limit just a kick when you can turn everything else down and not f**k up your dynamics early in the production process? You won't know if you made the right choice in this process until a vocal is added to your song, and unless you engineer all the artists you make beats for, by then, it's too late. Why is there always threads like how do "pick somebody" make their drums "bang" in "pick a song", and when I go to listen it's a straight off the triton drumkit. Why use a Gate when you can control your drum's release for more precision with just the turn of 1 knob?

All that sh*t, and keep it real, go to my myspace and tell me your drums "bang harder".

(check the instrumentals, I did no engineering on the full songs, just produced them). You guys come up here, pretend you want to learn, but then shoot down real azz answers. Again, do whatever you want, but all that work is pretty much in vain.

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Everytime Someone makes a real statement people try to turn it into 1. "them thinking they know something everyone else doesn't" and 2. "them beleiving their way is the only way to do something".

The only assumption you guys are ever correct with is 1. And it's not them "thinking", it's them knowing. Just like any other pro engineer and 90% of professional producers.

Why not just get good samples to begin with from professionals who knew what they were doing when they adjusted everything? Why have terrabytes or worthless drum libraries? Why compress/eq/limit just a kick when you can turn everything else down and not f**k up your dynamics early in the production process? You won't know if you made the right choice in this process until a vocal is added to your song, and unless you engineer all the artists you make beats for, by then, it's too late. Why is there always threads like how do "pick somebody" make their drums "bang" in "pick a song", and when I go to listen it's a straight off the triton drumkit. Why use a Gate when you can control your drum's release for more precision with just the turn of 1 knob?

All that sh*t, and keep it real, go to my myspace and tell me your drums "bang harder".

(check the instrumentals, I did no engineering on the full songs, just produced them). You guys come up here, pretend you want to learn, but then shoot down real azz answers. Again, do whatever you want, but all that work is pretty much in vain.
Why is there always a person that always comes off like he knows everything and he thinks his ways is the only way.
Please shut up.

Why can't people just give some input(Ideas) and add something.Things
said here can apply in other area too.
No one said this is a answers to poor samples.
You must always start with good samples so please shut about
that too.

And I real don't give a **** about your instrumentals.

Last edited by a moderator:
breal said:
The gate open lets sound thru and then the gate closes cutting
the sound.Depending on the threshold,Attack, and release settings
it will help sound punch thru .

oh, I was thinking somethin else once again ha, I always call that ASDR values.

To all the people that think you don't need to know this kinda stuff, you're oversimplifying the process. You could have every drumkit in the world and you will still find yourself in a situation where you need to automate a sample to make it sound the way you want it.

Wonder if you have a thunderous kickdrum that's a little lacking in the high end, so you layer it with another one with more sonic character but that drum sample is also a little bottom heavy so they start to clash. So you shave a little of the bottom end off the sample with some filtering or EQing and layer those two with a clean high hat and suddenly you've got this sick ass kickrum that works perfect with your mix. You need to know how to do these things, because relying too much on stock sounds won't allow you to progress as a producer.

breal said:
Why is there always a person that always comes off like he knows everything and he thinks his ways is the only way.
Please shut up.

Why can't people just give some input(Ideas) and add something.Things
said here can apply in other area too.
No one said this is a answers to poor samples.
You must always start with good samples so please shut about
that too.

And I real don't give a **** about your instrumentals.
yeah...that's real productive...stay stupid....way better than learning something. Also funny you somehow missed the whole part of my post where I said "do what works for you" and "I don't think my way's the only way". Just further shows your lack of comprehension which makes it easier for me to understand why you are too stubborn to attempt to learn.

johnnyluke said:
oh, I was thinking somethin else once again ha, I always call that ASDR values.
that answers too f**king simple. lol. People up here build space ships to ride to the cornerstore. You can't just turn down a release knob, you gotta use gates and filters and cutoof everything below blah blah, just to get a f**king kick, lol.

Last edited:
yeah...that's real productive...stay stupid....way better than learning something. Also funny you somehow missed the whole part of my post where I said "do what works for you" and "I don't think my way's the only way". Just further shows your lack of comprehension which makes it easier for me to understand why you are too stubborn to attempt to learn.

that answers too f**king simple. lol. People up here build space ships to ride to the cornerstore. You can't just turn down a release knob, you gotta use gates and filters and cutoof everything below blah blah, just to get a f**king kick, lol.
Learn something.
All you said was to get better samples.That all the other stuff is
a waste of time.

Listen everyone we been wasting are time.Throw away all
your plugins.deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup has the answer,Just use
better samples.

Why even have a post like this.What we need is another what is
better post-FL or Reason,What is the best vst post.
How about another sample ID post.Never can have too many of them.
It is people like you that bring down this forum.It could be
a good place but not if it has many members like yourself.

breal said:
Learn something.
a waste of time.

better samples.

But what's your problem with that?

Its good advice, why not have what you want in the beginning?

breal said:
Learn something.
a waste of time.

better samples.

Why even have a post like this.What we need is another what is
better post-FL or Reason,What is the best vst post.
How about another sample ID post.Never can have too many of them.
It is people like you that bring down this forum.It could be
a good place but not if it has many members like yourself.
Not at all, gates are very nessesary in the production/engineering world. So are compressors, limiters, ect.

But they're often abused by software users simply because they're so accessable.

You've already got you opinion of me based on whuteva tha **** so I won't waste my time trying to explain. Moses, Massive, Krushing, and any other comprehensive engineer up here has already said the same thing, but when I say it...whatever.

Eat a dikk and keep it moving. You gotta personal issue with me that makes you rant nonsense, nobody looks in threads to learn sh*t once those start.

Keep doing ya thing, cuz I'mma keep doin' mine. Late.

Last edited:
noblewordz said:
But what's your problem with that?

Its good advice, why not have what you want in the beginning?
Time to just get the mod of the close the post then.
Why don't you just close the forum too.

Not at all, gates are very nessesary in the production/engineering world. So are compressors, limiters, ect.

But they're often abused by software users simply because they're so accessable.

You've already got you opinion of me based on whuteva tha **** so I won't waste my time trying to explain. Moses, Massive, Krushing, and any other comprehensive engineer up here has already said the same thing, but when I say it...whatever.

Eat a dikk and keep it moving. You gotta personal issue with me that makes you rant nonsense, nobody looks in threads to learn sh*t once those start.

Keep doing ya thing, cuz I'mma keep doin' mine. Late.
The post was going fine till a few people was talking ****.

Wow it's funny cus the people makin beats that pay attention to this stuff and waste so much time on how banging their drums are,alot of the times have wack beats with fly drums,but they get by cuz the drums bang.

^^^ basically...

especially in hip hop.. where drums can be key.. look at swizz beats lol.. knockin drums.. horrible melodies..

bleh.. i'll stick to my wack drums and decent melodies lol

chilla2 said:
Wow it's funny cus the people makin beats that pay attention to this stuff and waste so much time on how banging their drums are,alot of the times have wack beats with fly drums,but they get by cuz the drums bang.

Nah man, sorry that doesn't make sense. The people that take the time to perfect their drums in this way don't stop at drums, they perfect the whole process. Some of us on here wanna be more than just beatmakers, we wanna learn how to mix, master, engineer, everything.

johnnyluke said:
Nah man, sorry that doesn't make sense. The people that take the time to perfect their drums in this way don't stop at drums, they perfect the whole process. Some of us on here wanna be more than just beatmakers, we wanna learn how to mix, master, engineer, everything.
Well when i look around and look back.When i was JUST starting i was looking for the best sounds,now i know that it's truly not that important,so i go with finding a good sound and using it instead of spending half an hour perfecting A KICK that i'd use like once

I hear what your saying, I just got like every producer kit ever made, but you know I haven't used a sample yet that didn't need some slight alteration to make it fit and I usually end up stacking 3 to 5 samples no matter how big the kick is. I always have an idea of exactly how I need the drum to sound in my mind, even before I start searchin for it, so even when I find almost that exact sound I still end up fu(kin with it a bit. But to each there own you know, you do you, but I think a lot of people benefited from this thread.

moses said:
all that work for just a basskick?! nothing better to do?!

don't waste your time with overprocessing. select the right sound from the beginning. threads like these only confuse people.

why do you use a gate? this is stupid IMO. the correct use of the volume envelopes in your sampler make all that gating and multiband crap obsolete (it's cheaper, faster, more flexible, more accurate and sounds better!).

no professional would ever use such time-wasting-issue-fixing. better invest all that time to read your samplers manual and select/record the right sound from the beginning.
All profesionals do this... Timbaland says he does it in an interview, kanye west does it, Dr. Dre... etc

Especially as this is hip hop, drums count more than the actual melody. i.e. Swizz Beats, Timberland ... etc

So dont talk about things you dont know about..

Last edited:
I have seperate times for this, on a weekday, I spend a little of each day getting my drums right. I make those drums with a few beat ideas already in my head. When the weekend comes up, I make my beats, usually after breakfast and in between studying. If you do that, taking this much time to make a kick makes sense. But for the quick idea, this is pointless.

Most of my kicks are sampled, but I have created a dozen of killer kicks with my VIRUS T1.
If you don't have a synth with great kicks, sample them a lot.
I hear a lot of my music in search of lonely kicks inside the songs. If I find a good one, i sample it dry. Then I sample it again using a compressor effect.

For analog virtual analog kicks, I do the following:

Create a pitch decay curve on the oscillator. Or, if you can shape curves on the PWM o DETUNE parameters, I create a fast decaying curve on them. For example, I put the pitch +12 and program a fast attack of the curve and a fast decay of -24. That results on a great effect.

If you have a VA synth with LINE INPUT, is good to experiment with this feature, setting one oscillator to the line input, and RINGING it to the other oscillator that has an analog kick generated by the synth's engine.

If working with rompler/samplers, combining several waves, and adjusting each one of the waves to the rest of them, is a good tip.

But, definitly, you save a lot of work investing some $$$$ on a VA synth with good kicks. VIRUS series can do a lot of them!

Danzink said:
All profesionals do this... Timbaland says he does it in an interview, kanye west does it, Dr. Dre... etc
now that's convincing! (isn't it the most used "argument" on FP?!)

don't you think they simply select fitting sounds from a gigantic sound library (or simply licence full loops from 70s records), put them in a sampler, layer them a little, do first class sequence work and finish the perfect track with 2-3 Eqs and comps here and there!?

Danzink said:
Especially as this is hip hop, drums count more than the actual melody. i.e. Swizz Beats, Timberland ... etc
i never said the opposite. i just said don't waste your time on such complicated, time wasting techniques. invest that time in proper sound-selection/creation, better sequencing and composition.

a kick is either phat or not. no matter how many effects you apply.

Last edited:
"Ad hominem"

timbaland or kanye west are kings here!!! :( If they fart is OK to do it!

My kicks are applied to beats music like deep house, trance or electro... It will be nice to hear specific techniques or tips that FP producers have learn from others or have developed by their own, using real or V analog, romplers, sampling, etc.

Technical info and tips on sound programming are valious info

Danzink said:

So dont talk about things you dont know about..
that's what everyone up here does isn't it? I know for 100% fact as of 2002 timbo made the beats, passed them to his engineer. Not sure what he does now, but I do know the hugest differences in the way his drums "knock" to this day always comes down to the person who mixes the songs.

But as I typed that I realized something. Knowing too much makes you look like an idiot.

I'm prolly looking real dumb right now. Keep doing what you do.

Back