How can I optimize a beat to playback clear on all devices?

OffTheCeiling

Hello everyone! As I progress as a producer, I feel as if my sounds need more perfection. I have noticed different frequency responses on each device I play my finished track on. I Mix with my headphones, so I usually make the bass louder because I don't notice any distortion. But when I play my beat on my Logitech Speakers with Sub, It seems to boost the lower frequencies, which tends to block out the mid.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can optimize my beat in the mixing stage? So I can prevent the distortion without having to switch my playback device all the time.

B/G = Background

My Levels are:
Master Peak - 0DB
Master RMS - -3DB

Guitar pluck with B/G Synth (Mid - High) - -5.5DB Peak
808 - -8.4DB Peak
Kick - 0DB Peak
Airy Synth (Mid - High) - -18DB Peak -21DB RMS
Finger snap (High) - -14DB Peak
Rhodes (Low) - -18.9DB Peak
B/G Airy Synth - -21DB Peak

All Feedback Is Appreciated :)

Thanks! I would have done a search but I didn't know what keywords to use. Could you link me a thread?

Last edited:
I would start with the "stickies" in the "Getting Started" and "Recording, Mixing, and Mastering" sections. Then post any questions you may have from there.

Also, you can definitely post a link here to get some feedback on your mix.

GJ

Ah, BTW, just looked at your master level peaking at 0. I'd back it off, that is probably causing some clipping that may be part of the "distortion" you described (?)...

GJ

mix on speakers with the biggest frequency range as possible, and are as hi-fi as you can afford.... but always test on multiple systems/headphones to make sure the mix is sounding good everywhere. Some headphones/speakers don't get as low, and will lose sub bass harmonies. If you have really low subbass, you may need to compensate with something else in a little bit higher frequency range to work on those headphones/speakers. You can keep the sub bass but layer something on top that's little higher in the frequency range. but GJ got you, fam. haha :)

and make sure your speakers are like flat, nothing is boosted or eq'd because that'll skew your understanding of the real mix. If your speakers bass is boosted, it'll make you think its boosted when it's really not.

Last edited:
Back