How can I master a song by myself ?

Spend the next 10 to 15 years learning the craft of mastering.

Or you could just throw a limiter on your mix bus to make it loud and call it mastered... since that's what most people do.

Are you looking for tutorials/articles/books to learn from, or more tips and the processing chain and such?

With great difficulty. I thought it would be as easy as running it through Ozone but it takes a little bit more than that to get your mixes perfect. Once of the problems you run into to is how monitors reveal a lot of detail, you play the same bounced track in an mp3 player with crappy headphones and it wont sound as good as the 2NE1 song next to it. The other problem is loudness. You gotta get your track loud as hell whilst not tripping the compression too much which will squash all the dynamics out and energy. Nearly all tracks in the mixdown will have a compressor, the Master itself will probably have a limiter, you see the problem. Its a balancing act.

Last edited:
There are hundreds of YouTube tutorials that explain the basics on how to master your own music. But before you learn about mastering, you will want to gain a good knowledge base on mixing which is not the same as mastering as I've seen many producer confuse. If you do not know how to mix your tracks properly, then YouTube some mixing tutorials and work on that skill set first then you will move onto mastering. I myself never thought I would learn how to do it, but with practice and patience you will be able to do it yourself! Hope this helps out!

Spend the next 10 to 15 years learning the craft of mastering.

Or you could just throw a limiter on your mix bus to make it loud and call it mastered... since that's what most people do.

Or make procrastination disappear and make it in less than 2-3 years :)

Seriously though, spend most of your time (at OP) in this order and you'll improve in no time

Source -> Mixing -> Mastering

Chances are you're going to need no more than a maximizer during mastering if you've completed the first steps correctly.

Also get to know your monitors. Listen to how the commercial recordings sound through your monitors and use them as a reference.

PRACTICE.

Good luck

Last edited:
Back