How can I achieve this tapestop effect?

vection

0:49

It sound's so clean and eased into... I need to know how to do it!
Which vst is this?

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not a tape stop the music stops and the reverb tails hang on for all of 4 seconds or more

Listen to Bandcoach. He is a Mod Scientist for a reason.
Yeah... even though there is obviously not a 4 second reverb on the master track. :4theloveofgod:

And I know this because I can hear it...You should be able to, too. The voice has a 1/4 delay which makes it sound smoother. The music does not continue to play or have audible sound after the stop. Idk what you're hearing, but you're the "Mod Scientist", while I offered him a simple solution to replicate that sound, you offered none. Good luck, OP!

Well, there is definitely a delay producing the echo effect, but along with the delay, there is reverb, and it's definitely not a tape-stop effect... I might be missing something, but I don't see the OP saying that he's using Fruity-Loops-anything. So I wonder what the real issue is here? See how easily that was win-win, WB, and the OP benefits from correct information without having to endure any type of contest?

C'mon guys, let's not needlessly nit-pick.

GJ

No 4 second reverb on the master buss, but the reverb is probably automated to be implemented on the last few beats of the bar in question or a variation thereof. This is a common mixing technique as mentioned by Dave Pensado.

Last edited:
thank gj:

for the record I was not picking at the response so much a wanting to know if they were involved with the production or had insider knowledge that we did not

I also did not say the reverb was 4 seconds I said the tails hang on for 4 seconds (this could be subtly done by using a much shorter reverb and pumping it through a delay set to 4 or more decaying repeats),

The idea of the reverb being automated (or more likely keyed to the whole track so that when there is nothing else the reverb return opens) is quite a common one and should have occurred to me along with what I did write

except that there is no tape stop effect - the actual music stops playing leaving only the tails of any fx that active at that moment ringing through - using vari-fi would not do this.....

Definitely sounds like theres a tape stop on the music but the words are hit with the same delay/reverb through out the song.
Ive recorded songs using the same effect after I've bounced tracks down to two tracks when Im ready to record vocals...

This is one of the racks I use in Reason for this, its really simple to achieve.

Last edited:
wow - two industry vets with 60+ years experience say it isn't tape stop and you still want to argue?

wow - two industry vets with 60+ years experience say it isn't tape stop and you still want to argue?

Haha. This seems to be a normal occurrence both on this forum as well as on HomeRecording.com, and it always seems to be the noobs who argue. Well, if you already know, then why'd ya ask??? Pointless.

Anyway, I would agree: I don't hear a tape-stop effect at all. I would further agree that it is in fact some sort of modulated/resonant filtered & delayed reverb on both the vocal and the master buss. Possibly even two separate ones on each to achieve the final effect. In my experience, effects like these typically aren't pinpointed and then created; it's more of a process of experimentation & discovery that leads to a somewhat unexpected but still desirable result. I can think of only a handful of times in my 20+ years of recording/engineering/producing where I needed a cool effect and "heard" something in my head and then created it. Typically I just throw on different effects until I find something that works and then tweak it to death.

Hope that helps.

There is a VST called dblue TapeStop, that you can use to replicate it. It sounds like it is on the music only and not the vocals. You can set the tape stop to how fast or slow you want it to stop and start.

there is no tape stop: the music just stops suddenly stops and the reverbs/delays ring out ove the next 4 seconds

Back