Home studio to record songs

tjustice

Im looking to make a home setup in my closet to record songs, I'm aiming for a great quality of sound mainly. My budget is 300 now. Help!!

There's a lot of options out there for this. You need to start researching which types of mics of you want to work with, which pre-amps etc. There's so many factors that go into it that I've found it to be more something you need to research yourself. When looking at mics, the Shure SM58 has always been a good starting point as it's the industry standard pretty much. It has good sound quality and it basically does the job. It's $100. A good pre-amp I've had a good experience with is the Behringer Xynex 302 USB. It's $50. For headphones I got the Sony MDR 7508 for best quality for $95, you can see Sway in the Morning using these. Other than that you should get a mic stand and a pop filter and you should be good to go. However do research on what type of mics and pre-amps you want, because at the end of the day, it's you whos going to be recording into it and if you don't like the way it sounds then you basically wasted a 100 bucks. Theres a lot of stuff out there. Wish you good luck and have fun with it

Last edited:
$300 isn't a lot but you'll be fine.

Headphones - google "cheap closed back headphones". Make sure they're "closed back" or the sound coming from the headphones will leak into the mic.

Microphone/pre-amp - The above suggestions from tuneitdown are solid.

Then get your pop filter (u can also make one of these yourself) and a stand.

Be sure to stand away from any walls if possible while recording to avoid sound reflections into the mic.

After you record, de-noise and eq your vocals.

Then compress them and the quality will be great :)

Back