Hi hat volume getting uneven

ernple

I noticed that the hi hat's volume on my tracks are uneven. The hi hats are nice and all but at some certain parts especially when the bass stops, it gets louder than normal. it gets 1-2db increase. How do i keep the volume consistent?

It's all about the eq and velocity. If you're playing them you might hit the pad or key a little softer on some than the other. To fix this make sure that the velocity (or intensity) of each note is even. Make sure to eq them so they stand out a little clearer. Take away most of the low end so it doesn't clash with the bass and turn the high frequencies up a bit. Make sure to use some compression so they're not too loud either. There's really no set way just for starters. Just play it by ear you'll get it. Hope that helps.

Also are you putting a limiter on your master bus? The problem might be that when the volume of the full mix gets lower because the bass frequency is gone, the volume of the rest of the tracks is being raised and the hi hats are the most noticable thing you hear.

Back