Help with mixing and layering basses (example Posted)

TDOT

I've posted a song here in the link and I just wondered...how do they achieve layering these basses.

In the song you'll notice sections on 8 bars where they play a light bass line that sounds like it's layered with a SAW tooth synth or it's a SAW bass or something of that nature.

Other 8 bars you'll hear a heavy 808 bass line playing instead of the SAW bass.

Lastly you'll here sections were the song is at it's busiest where the 808 Bass line is playing and you can hear a very faint SAW bass line playing at the same time.

Did they achieve this by simply turning the volume of one Bass line down and some EQ or is there something I'm missing?

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

SONG:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't overthink it too much.
808 is dominating the track, that detuned wide saw is highpassed when paired with the 808. When playing in solo - highpass is disabled.
But it's more likely that there are 3 basses: 808, wide saw, low saw (doubling the wide one when there's no 808 - for example at 1:35).
Any scenario will work. From a mixing stanpoint - define the main elements(808) and secondary(wide saw) and mix it accordingly. That's the thought process basically.

Makes sense, thanks for the reply man, should have hit you back earlier but I've been busy, always like to thank members for being helpful.

Back