Help with a mix R&B

ShaliGriaBros

Hey guys. Recently I tracked a song for an artist I'm producing and I'm now at the mixing stage and its not sounding how I hear in my head. Particularly the vocals don't shine as I thought they would. The vocals don't seem to fit with the instrumental. Maybe I'm compressing too much. I've started this mix over 3 times and came to realize I may need some professional opinions/direction. Any tips would help. Well appreciated.

edit: I think I should of posted this in the showcase thread instead. Pardon

https://soundcloud.com/gria-test/overtime-mix-ref

Last edited:
The sound one might have in their head may not always be the most appropriate sound for the mix. Maybe you could add a little delay at the end of certain words, but there are no major issues with the vocals at this point. I think more work needs to be done on the instrumental before the vocals could sit properly in the mix. After that you would be able to better judge what needs to be done on the vocals.

In my humble opinion, the snare at the chorus doesn't fit the overall mode of the beat. It sounds fine at the verses. Maybe you could try layering the snare at the chorus and take out a bit of the low mid out of the gunshot type snare at the chorus as well. At that point, the snare has too much low mid and not enough power in the upper mid range. It sounds fine on the verses with the filtered effect.

I would suggest getting the kick and snare, piano, and strings balance right at this point. Also experiment with some reverb to position the instruments in the mix. Take a break from the song if you don't have an urgent deadline. Also listen to songs like Jamie Fox's 'Fall for your type' and pay attention to how the instruments are placed in the mix.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Recently I tracked a song for an artist I'm producing and I'm now at the mixing stage and its not sounding how I hear in my head. Particularly the vocals don't shine as I thought they would. The vocals don't seem to fit with the instrumental. Maybe I'm compressing too much. I've started this mix over 3 times and came to realize I may need some professional opinions/direction. Any tips would help. Well appreciated.

edit: I think I should of posted this in the showcase thread instead. Pardon

https://soundcloud.com/gria-test/overtime-mix-ref

I can hear that you have worked quite a lot on this and I can totally understand you are asking for help.

Let's just first list the obvious issues, to not have those in the way when we start looking at the deeper issues present here. The snare is too loud. The ambience is not loud enough. The low mids are too loud on the left speaker. The kick drum and vocals on the side are a bit too loud also. These are some basic things that a mastering engineer would have fixed if you would have sent this mix for mastering and I'm sure these issues are not totally foreign to you now that I've highlighted them. Now let's move on to see how can we make this mix step up in hit vibe.

There are a few basic things about both sound and mix style that I find you need to correct with this mix if you want it to have that modern R&B vibe.

Sound.

If you would visualize how the stereo image of this mix is, it is like waves. It is rather thin at the center and rather thick on the sides, in other words the mix does not have a cohesive stereo form, it is rather a bit random. This makes the mix a bit uncomfortable, because there are various transients poking out here and there in the stereo spectrum maybe you did so to try to separate the sound sources in the stereo field, but it is definitely over done in my view, over compression is in this case part of that issue but also panning and frequency unbalance. My view is that you should try to re-shape the stereo form, so that you get some added height at the center and some roundness on the sides. You can have transients poking out, but that should be just a tiny little so that it does not distract the listening experience. I think it is good that you've put quite a lot of low mids far out, but be careful not to have it unbalanced across the stereo spectrum. The more constant those low mids are (the lower the air), the less loud they should be, else it is like somebody is grabbing your ears and hold them stretched wider, it is a bit uncomfortable.

Another big area about the sound to focus on is the dynamics. The high end has a quite hard bite and the whole mix is kind of forcing itself onto the listener. This is a result of too much compression, too fast attack, too fast release and dynamic unbalance. Typically this comes from lack of transient design in combination with one or several limiters applied ineffectively late in the process. This in turn distracts in the creation of certain mix qualities, that I will now explain.

Mix.

Since the compression provides so much energy, it becomes difficult to notice that the mix actually lacks quite a lot of emotion. It is good if you reduce that energy and flat out the depth while you mix, so that you really concentrate on the emotion of the mix. Obviously the hallmark of R&B is in its rather hot, smooth and emotional vibe. This requires softness at the right places, so that it becomes tender, it requires glue and warmth. Once you have that in the mix, you can begin to enhance that vibe/emotion. And once that is done, you don't have to add as much energy, hence you won't end up over compressing the mix.

The issues relating to sound and mix above, are all fixed earlier than the lateness when they were introduced. So this means for instance that to get hotness, you need something like an acoustic guitar in the production. To get more warmth you need to harmonize the low end, which you can do through low end harmonic excitement and advanced gain staging in an A/B configuration. To get a more rounded comfortable stereo shape you need to improve the balance on multiple stereo dimensions and their sub-dimensions (= different signal routing). To get less poking of frequencies, you need to have higher quality monitoring, spend more time on the rough mixing, perform transient design and hence due to all of this apply compressors differently later on in the process.

Here is what I find sounds good and works well in your mix:

The sound of the bass guitar is good. The depth of the various vocals is nice. The overall loudness is good. Your use of mono on some elements, is good. The presence is far from perfect, but it could be much worse. Your mix intensions are also good and tasteful.

So what we have here is a production that is not done in terms of recording, that has overall pretty good sound but leaves a few basics in sound and mix unaddressed. The focus and hard work is definitely there, but now the engineer wants to take this to the next level, and that requires to offset the focus earlier in the process, so that the pro audio remains preserved later in the process.

Here is a good technique you can practice to step by step improve your mixes from here, because although you have some basic issues in this production at some point you are going to have to "lift" it on the deeper level in order to close in on the very good sounding commercial mixes and that you do not only do from gear and technique, but you do so by using your ears:

Instead of working hard to break into new mix quality levels, listen to more great and not so great sounding music and describe what good qualities you hear about the great sounding mixes and what not so great qualities you hear about the not so great sounding mixes. Stay totally transparent when you do this, the aim here is to refine your analytical skills. You should compare this to a good wine taster. When you can describe your mixes in a very refined way, you better know what mixing moves to make.

Last edited:
The sound one might have in their head may not always be the most appropriate sound for the mix. Maybe you could add a little delay at the end of certain words, but there are no major issues with the vocals at this point. I think more work needs to be done on the instrumental before the vocals could sit properly in the mix. After that you would be able to better judge what needs to be done on the vocals.

In my humble opinion, the snare at the chorus doesn't fit the overall mode of the beat. It sounds fine at the verses. Maybe you could try layering the snare at the chorus and take out a bit of the low mid out of the gunshot type snare at the chorus as well. At that point, the snare has too much low mid and not enough power in the upper mid range. It sounds fine on the verses with the filtered effect.

I would suggest getting the kick and snare, piano, and strings balance right at this point. Also experiment with some reverb to position the instruments in the mix. Take a break from the song if you don't have an urgent deadline. Also listen to songs like Jamie Fox's 'Fall for your type' and pay attention to how the instruments are placed in the mix.

Thank you kindly! "The sound one might have in their head may not always be the most appropriate sound for the mix." ---- Saying that allowed me to understand the suggestions given. Ur right the instrumental is where it should start...I will apply these adjustments with that mind state and see where it goes. I feel so much better...thanks a million.

I can hear that you have worked quite a lot on this and I can totally understand you are asking for help.

Let's just first list the obvious issues, to not have those in the way when we start looking at the deeper issues present here. The snare is too loud. The ambience is not loud enough. The low mids are too loud on the left speaker. The kick drum and vocals on the side are a bit too loud also. These are some basic things that a mastering engineer would have fixed if you would have sent this mix for mastering and I'm sure these issues are not totally foreign to you now that I've highlighted them. Now let's move on to see how can we make this mix step up in hit vibe.

There are a few basic things about both sound and mix style that I find you need to correct with this mix if you want it to have that modern R&B vibe.

Sound.

If you would visualize how the stereo image of this mix is, it is like waves. It is rather thin at the center and rather thick on the sides, in other words the mix does not have a cohesive stereo form, it is rather a bit random. This makes the mix a bit uncomfortable, because there are various transients poking out here and there in the stereo spectrum maybe you did so to try to separate the sound sources in the stereo field, but it is definitely over done in my view, over compression is in this case part of that issue but also panning and frequency unbalance. My view is that you should try to re-shape the stereo form, so that you get some added height at the center and some roundness on the sides. You can have transients poking out, but that should be just a tiny little so that it does not distract the listening experience. I think it is good that you've put quite a lot of low mids far out, but be careful not to have it unbalanced across the stereo spectrum. The more constant those low mids are (the lower the air), the less loud they should be, else it is like somebody is grabbing your ears and hold them stretched wider, it is a bit uncomfortable.

Another big area about the sound to focus on is the dynamics. The high end has a quite hard bite and the whole mix is kind of forcing itself onto the listener. This is a result of too much compression, too fast attack, too fast release and dynamic unbalance. Typically this comes from lack of transient design in combination with one or several limiters applied ineffectively late in the process. This in turn distracts in the creation of certain mix qualities, that I will now explain.

Mix.

Since the compression provides so much energy, it becomes difficult to notice that the mix actually lacks quite a lot of emotion. It is good if you reduce that energy and flat out the depth while you mix, so that you really concentrate on the emotion of the mix. Obviously the hallmark of R&B is in its rather hot, smooth and emotional vibe. This requires softness at the right places, so that it becomes tender, it requires glue and warmth. Once you have that in the mix, you can begin to enhance that vibe/emotion. And once that is done, you don't have to add as much energy, hence you won't end up over compressing the mix.

The issues relating to sound and mix above, are all fixed earlier than the lateness when they were introduced. So this means for instance that to get hotness, you need something like an acoustic guitar in the production. To get more warmth you need to harmonize the low end, which you can do through low end harmonic excitement and advanced gain staging in an A/B configuration. To get a more rounded comfortable stereo shape you need to improve the balance on multiple stereo dimensions and their sub-dimensions (= different signal routing). To get less poking of frequencies, you need to have higher quality monitoring, spend more time on the rough mixing, perform transient design and hence due to all of this apply compressors differently later on in the process.

Here is what I find sounds good and works well in your mix:

The sound of the bass guitar is good. The depth of the various vocals is nice. The overall loudness is good. Your use of mono on some elements, is good. The presence is far from perfect, but it could be much worse. Your mix intensions are also good and tasteful.

So what we have here is a production that is not done in terms of recording, that has overall pretty good sound but leaves a few basics in sound and mix unaddressed. The focus and hard work is definitely there, but now the engineer wants to take this to the next level, and that requires to offset the focus earlier in the process, so that the pro audio remains preserved later in the process.

Here is a good technique you can practice to step by step improve your mixes from here, because although you have some basic issues in this production at some point you are going to have to "lift" it on the deeper level in order to close in on the very good sounding commercial mixes and that you do not only do from gear and technique, but you do so by using your ears:

Instead of working hard to break into new mix quality levels, listen to more great and not so great sounding music and describe what good qualities you hear about the great sounding mixes and what not so great qualities you hear about the not so great sounding mixes. Stay totally transparent when you do this, the aim here is to refine your analytical skills. You should compare this to a good wine taster. When you can describe your mixes in a very refined way, you better know what mixing moves to make.

You have addressed more issues than I actually knew where holding back the mix. Great sonic awareness. I now do hear the overcompression. I knew something was brittle about it, but didn't know the cause then. Thanx for pointing that out. I'm curious now to study the low mids also with this point in interest. The dynamics I felt were as well not working cohesively together. A lot of issues I need to address lol. Thanks for also pointing out what works in the mix. Great deal of information you have shared.

You have addressed more issues than I actually knew where holding back the mix. Great sonic awareness. I now do hear the overcompression. I knew something was brittle about it, but didn't know the cause then. Thanx for pointing that out. I'm curious now to study the low mids also with this point in interest. The dynamics I felt were as well not working cohesively together. A lot of issues I need to address lol. Thanks for also pointing out what works in the mix. Great deal of information you have shared.

Cool man! When you dial in the new stereo form, try to visualize having ~80% of the frequencies fitting inside of a box/rectangle not expanding fully to the sides and ~20% of your remaining (finest) frequencies shimmering fully through that box on the sides, it is also good if those frequencies shimmering through that box have quite a rich mid frequency content since that helps to open up the mix. This you can do by narrowing down the stereo field on the group of tracks you want to fit inside of that box, in this way you can still get all the pros of LCR mixing. (since you are able to easily narrow down on the stereo field once you've balanced the tracks on LCR) When you dial in the stereo image it helps a lot to keep track on what the density is on the mid and side combined (in absolute terms) and on the mid and side in isolation (in relative terms). The side should be very light in density, so don't be afraid of softening the upper low end on the side. To enhance the harmonics of the low end on the side you can apply a steep hi pass filter, resonance will be created at the cutoff point, so adjust it to where you get the most amount of warmth and softness. Why density is important to keep track of is because lots of low end creates depth which helps to enrich the perception of the stereo image/sound stage, but also density, so by making the sides extra light you can make the illusion of less overall density and hence be able to keep more depth left in the mix than what is otherwise possible. While low mids are a bit uncomfortable when they are loud and constant far out on the sides, mids are not. So if you have mid frequencies that are quite constant, you can put those far out on the side quite loudly without causing too much uncomfort. But if those elements contain quite a lot of high end too, then volume becomes very important. (so that these elements don't get too loud) Narrowing down the stereo image a little within the mix, is a good way of concentrating the frequencies to make it more cohesive and glued. When you dial in the shimmering frequencies, do so in solo first, so that you do not compensate negatively because of other distracting frequencies. The stereo field should not be constantly 100% used in my view, partly because that provides added fatigue during mixing and during normal playback, but also because a 100% constant full wideness makes the ears less sensitive to the frequencies on the sides, this means you will start adding nasty high end on the sides due to too much signal, which only makes the mix harsh and does not add any additional value. Keep it as gentle as you are to your... that's a good rule of thumb :p Ultimately what makes a mix great is in how much pleasure it provides.

Last edited:
Cool man! When you dial in the new stereo form, try to visualize having ~80% of the frequencies fitting inside of a box/rectangle and ~20% of your remaining (finest) frequencies shimmering fully through that box on the sides. This you can do by narrowing down the stereo field on the group of tracks you want to fit inside of that box, in this way you can still get all the pros of LCR mixing. (since you are able to easily narrow down on the stereo field once you've balanced the tracks)

Right! Cool visualization bro!

I think if you start over by balancing out the tracks first and of course letting the vocals sit above the rest of the mix that will help. Then start back adding your effects making sure certain frequencies are not fighting for their place in the mix. I am not sure how much compression you are using but for this type of song I would use a small amount of compression with a medium to slow attack. Take a listen to this track I made hopefully this can be a reference for you and if you have any other questions feel free to ask https://soundcloud.com/jtvaughn1/untitled-mixdown-snippet

Last edited:
Back