Help with Mastering

Rubino

Hi. If you have time, I would be realy thankfull for your help. I have new home studio. I am old rapper but I am new in making music at my own.
Here is my components: Macbook
Software: Logic Pro x
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nt Gen
Mic: RODE NTK
Headphones: SONY MDR - 7506 ----- this headphones cost 125 euros, but I realy dont like them. But everybody says they are so great so ... I always telling myself, maybe i hear wrong, maybe I have bad ears or what, but for me .. they sounds very very bad :/

So, I am learning from youtube videos. Almost every video is same for mastering voice. Same steps. But my voice always sounds like a sh..

Here is my logic records:
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

PROBLEM NUMBER 1: I had to double my voice record because its recorded very quiet and I cant do nothing with it. My mic gain is set on interface around 8 (from 0 to 10 scale) but after compressed and gain some more DB its okey

-
-
-

and here is my voice record (clean) --- without any changes:

Vocaroo | Voice message --- with music

Vocaroo | Voice message --- without music

PROBLEM NUMBER 2: As you can hear, my voice is very very bad quality. Yes its clean record ( mic cost 500 euros) , but my voice is so deep frequence. Like closed behind the doors , you know what I mean? Dont know how to better explain in english. Just listen it.
All other people on youtube have first record without plugins so clean. Yes they need EQ and compresor but they sound much better then my record.

So, I add some EQ and compressor, Deesser and some reverb.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet ---- my EQ
Imgur: The magic of the Internet ---- Compressor
https://imgur.com/HcBzbkh ---- reverb
https://imgur.com/6DTXALj ---- deesser

in most of the videos they do this and their vocal sound great. But my voice is .... ugh

Here is my vocal after these adding:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0FPvop3sZUH --- with music
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0f2pmstap4H --- without music

I realy need your opinions, your help. I dont know what to do with it. In all learning videos they add EQ, Compressor, some reverb, and deesser and they sound great. But I cant move because I sounds always like a sh..
I dont know what is wrong.
Why my records sound so bad without adding plugins. It is because of mic? Interface? But they are good quality, brand new, I have expensive cables. I spent days and days learning, Im doing exacly what they do in videos, but nothing helps.

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
I builded small cabine in my room. Cabine is around 1,5 meters all sides. All walls there are acoustic foam. I have original Rode pop filter. I sing maybe 10 -15 centimeters from microphone. Audience in my records are from headphones. I had too loud music and mic is too sensitive on that gain.

Rode NTK is conencted to original Rode Power Supply box and that is conected to my interface, and that is usb conected to Mac.
I tried another mic. Much cheaper Shure, but is was worst. I tried another m-audio interface. But no change.

And yes :D :D :D I recorded to good side of mic :D ... I know what I am doing there, I recorded in many studios. And now I build my own, but this is happening, and nobody know why are my records so bad quality. I bought expensive cables (20 euros one).

First uploaded record is raw, without procesing. Just recorded and bounced in mp3 without normalize.

Just spitballin here, but are you standing super close to the mic? Try taking a step back to put a little more distance between your mouth and the mic and see if some of the deepness goes away. I know it sounds stupid, but it's worth experimenting if you haven't already.

First off, MASTERING is an overall process that affects the ENTIRE SONG as a whole. You don't master only the vocals or only the bass. You master am entire song as a whole. Like turning up the volume on your TV. You can't turn up just one persons voice, or the background music. If you turn the volume up, everything goes up. This is how mastering works, the entire song gets it.

The biggest problem with your vocals is you are not Hi Pass EQ filtering them. So they're bassy and it collides with the bass in the music. Hi Pass EQ filter your vocals around 200hz to remove that low pass. No regular EQ, hi pass filter. Try 150hz, 200hz, 250hz somewhere around there to remove the boominess in your vocals.

Good luck with your music!

Back