HELP! I can't trust my ears!

I will compare my mix to a reference mix and my mix will sound worse. Then 30 minutes later (without making any changes) I will compare my same mix with the same reference mix and suddenly my mix sounds better. And this process will literally repeat over and over again?

Does anyone else suffer from this? Do I need new headphones? What is happening?

Are you really using "Beats by Dre?"

But seriously folks-- How long are you listening? What volume? Headphones? Speakers? Exclusive to one or the other? Are you changing to different sets of speakers or phones, or staying with one?

GJ

To be honest there are a lot of factors that can be issues in terms of mixing. Are you only using headphones? Your room can be an issue, outside noise, monitor positioning, where your'e sitting etc etc. The room usually plays the biggest factor but if you are only using headphones I would say that is the problem. Your headphones are great for details but not so good for perception or dynamics, you need monitors to give you a better perceived mix but before you get monitors the room you have needs to be treated and yea it's a never ending cycle.

Well if your tracks are actually being used in productions it really doesnt matter how great your mix is because they will have a engineer for post-production.

If your are the engineer or in post production my advice to get your tracks mastered by a third party until you get better.

There are a billion videos about mixing on youtube and even on this site.

You are probably experiencing ear fatigue. I recommend taking some exercise breaks between listens so that you are more fully aware to pick out the details that you may have missed.

Back