help with 808 mastering PLEASE!!??

ItsMeLewie

hey guys, i have been messing about with 808s on fl studio for what seems like about a year.
i do not have great technical knowledge but i just love to make music. its pretty much my only hobby.
my problem is although i can get the 808s louder and slightly clearer by eqing out the low and high ends and raising the bass/mid low frequency or alternatively, i have found you can use a hi pass filter to achieve roughly the same sound, although a bit clearer, both topped off with a bit of fast distortion to give it a bit more life. am i even doing the right thing here? what i seem to struggle to get is that a well mastered song you can hear the 808 and melody almost separate. it is unbelievable how clear it sounds.
i'm not sure if we can post links here but ill give you an idea of what i get and what id like to achieve?

thanks in advance for any help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thFEuNQWIg0 - one of my beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbmnJmyTP84 - a producer on youtube (how does he get it so clear and loud?)

i can get the 808s louder and slightly clearer by eqing out the low and high ends and raising the bass/mid low frequency or alternatively, i have found you can use a hi pass filter to achieve roughly the same sound, although a bit clearer, both topped off with a bit of fast distortion to give it a bit more life. am i even doing the right thing here?

Getting the 808 to sit nice can be a little tricky, mainly because a lot of near fields speakers and smaller rooms won't give an accurate representation of what's really going on in the sub low region.

Using a high pass can be a good idea to help insure that nothing is going over board or causing break up, but most time with an un-accurate system you'll be left to getting it where you think it should be, but then still having to check in multiple outside systems (car, boombox etc) to confirm it bangs without break-up.

It's something where the more you mess with mixing and mastering the 808 you get batter over time, but the real answer is to have a full range system that let's you trust your decisions without second guessing. gl

Last edited:
Back