Help!?

MoZedakos

Musician & Producer
Help!!!!!

I like making oldschool hip hop and I am able to do it, but don't know about mixing and mastering. I would like you to answer some questions.
1) What is mixing and mastering?
2) What is the difference between mixing and mastering?
3) How can I learn mixing and mastering?
4) Can you suggest any free mixing/mastering software?

Last edited:
Sorry but these questions are so basic that you're better off doing a quick Google search for them.
This is a bit like walking into your local bakery, saying: "Yo, you.. the one with the white funny hat on... explain to me this bread-thing"

Free? No, not really.. your best bet for free is to look for free VSTs online.. there's a ton of them around. There's topics on here with a ton of links if you look for them. A lot of free VSTs are crap, or just do one thing well. Bootsy's plug-ins are very good. You also have to know at least a bit about sound engineering to have an idea of what effects you're looking for, what they do, etc. That's why I said these are questions for Google... the answers get kinda long to type, and there's articles, books, videos and whatnot explaining it way better than I ever could.

As far as convenient all in one packages go, the good ones people use a lot are pretty pricey.. Again, it's probably best to brush up on your knowledge first before dropping lots of money on these as they won't be magical trackfixers. A beginner's impulse in something like Ozone (popular mastering suite) would be to crank everything up to the max and completely ruin the track. You can find plenty of free plugins that'll do similar jobs to get you started.. what you're paying for with something like Ozone is more about convenience, having everything you might possibly need in one interface. But other people might hate it for exactly the same reasons I like it. Or just because they're attached to a piece of kit they've worked with for years and know in and out.

Back