Heavy Snare>..

Livemusic

How do you get a Snare to hit with a heavy thud rather then a popping sound? can be heard in some premier productions.

it's called sound selection if you are using sample libraries or tuning if you are using a real kit

snare drums that "pop" are generally tuned very high (tension is high)

snare drums that thud are either tuned much lower (tension on the skin/batter head is lower) or have cloth or other dampening applied to the top skin

How do you get a Snare to hit with a heavy thud rather then a popping sound? can be heard in some premier productions.

Ya sounds like a frequency thing.

Boosting the low end will add more thud, while boosting the high end will add more pop.

There are manual ways to do this b4 recording or you can boost after the fact using eq.

What I do in my Drum and Bass tracks, where I want a nice punchy snare is:

Pick a snare sample with nice sound round 200 Hz. I route this snare unprocessed to a second track and put an EQ on it, where I filter out mid frequencies so that it has only frequencies around 8000 Hz and around 200 Hz.

Then I use compression and then add an overdrive or distortion (subtle). Sometimes I also add Reverb on the process track.

I have both snare tracks playing at the same time. Sometimes I will have two different processed snares running (with EQing to balance them with each other). Have been doing it since I first tried this because I really like the result!

Sounds like everybody has covered the "usual suspects"-- tuning/sound selection, EQ, and parallel processing. I guess the only thing I'd add would be layering (using multiple snare sounds at once to create a conglomerate of sounds that you like together). It could be argued that that might fit under the categories of EQ or parallel processing, I suppose...

To the OP-- Do you have examples of what you're talking about that we could listen to? Snare tuning can be all over the map. When you said "premier productions," did you mean "really first rate," or something actually produced by DJ Premier?

GJ

Back