Hearing myself double on Pro Tools

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I am having an issue with Pro Tools where when I press the red light button on my scarlett interface box and open pro tools and press the record button on a track to begin recording a verse I hear the vocal twice almost like it has a quick delay on it and it doesn't. Any help would be much appreciated!

Are you actually hearing the vocal twice (in the system), or are you just hearing a delayed monitoring sound in your headphones?

GJ

Hmm good question I am not sure. I am leaning more toward the second thing you said of delayed monitoring sound in my headphones. If I press the red button on my scarlett interface box it opens the mic and I can hear myself normal. If I go to pro tools and press the red record button on a track and actually begin to record I hear a delayed echo sound that isn't supposed to be there so I am thinking it is delayed monitoring sound like you said. Any advice?

You probably hear it via mixcontrol depending if your Scarlett uses mixcontrol. I have the routing preset set to zero latency tracking and Its possible that your interface is input monitoring your mic and playing it back live...If thats the case mute it in mixcontrol. oLd8Ocz.png

If your interface doesn't use mixcontrol then rightclick your volume icon in the taskbar and go to recording devices. Double click on the scarlett and go to the listen tab and make sure you have that unchecked. JwQRnS5.png

Also in ProTools go to options and make sure to uncheck delay compensation if you don't need it and check low latency monitoring.

Great responses guys thanks a lot! Yeah if I mute the track I am recording on in pro tools the problem goes away but I like to record with reverb and delay on it makes me feel more confident and also I can use the delays to my advantage when I pause and when I mute the track on pro tools I can only hear myself in the headphones because of my Scarlett red box. In other words I can hear myself and it doesn't double anymore but my recording effects won't play back. There's not a way to stop the input and playback of my microphone with just the Scarlett box on and only hear playback when recording from the pro tools track? I want to record with reverb and delay on my voice but I need to stop the doubling issue I am having! Any help much appreciated

Can you link us to what you have? I thought it was a interface itself but Focusrite has so much red hardware. I do get what your saying though. You want pre effects when your signal goes into protools live. My interface is the same with that but like i mentioned I can mute the hardware input monitoring with MixControl the signal still passes into ProTools if i have the I enabled to input monitor the track.

You are now in the capable hands of more Scarlett/Pro Tools savvy cats... But one tip to think about-- most pro producers that work with a lot of vocalists don't like the idea of "confidence reverb/delay" very much. It is much easier to make mistakes if you are singing, it can become a distraction, and it may give you less objectivity (a bit too much confidence).

You may want to at least consider recording your vocals "dry," and the adding effects later, once you know that you've nailed a killer take.

GJ

Someone alluded to this but you didn't really answer, and I don't know much about it, but did you check buffer size? I assume the scarlett doesn't make that a moot point.

You probably hear it via mixcontrol depending if your Scarlett uses mixcontrol. I have the routing preset set to zero latency tracking and Its possible that your interface is input monitoring your mic and playing it back live...If thats the case mute it in mixcontrol. View attachment 43910

If your interface doesn't use mixcontrol then rightclick your volume icon in the taskbar and go to recording devices. Double click on the scarlett and go to the listen tab and make sure you have that unchecked. View attachment 43911

Also in ProTools go to options and make sure to uncheck delay compensation if you don't need it and check low latency monitoring.

thanks for the response. I am trying to follow your directions but i guess I should have mentioned i have a mac lol

Hi there,

Could you clarify what you're referring to as the 'red button' on your Scarlett?

There are two methods of monitoring when using your Scarlett; direct monitoring and software monitoring. You shouldn't really ever use both at the same time - that's what will cause the problem you're having.

If you'd simply like to monitor through Pro Tools (software monitoring), select the 'DAW Tracking' routing preset in MixControl. This will allow you to monitor with effects ie Reverb, but will give you some amount of latency in your monitoring path dependent on your system.

If you'd like to monitor directly through the Scarlett (direct monitoring), select the 'Ultra Low Latency Tracking' routing preset in MixControl and mute the track you're recording to in your DAW. This will give you a virtually latency-free monitoring path.

Thanks,

Dan

Back