Having trouble with low end on kick

Coleman1

Coleman1
In a project I'm working on, I have layered two kicks with one having a really nice and fast attacky top kick, and also a nice round low end. When I put them together by themselves, it sounds really nice. then when I put it with all my other instruments, I can hear the top kick and thump, just not the low end. It's weird, because when I put the kick by itself it sounds really nice, then play it with everything and the only thing I hear or feel is the top. I've sidechained the bassline quite heavily as well as cut out the lows of other instruments, and the only way to get the low end through is to eq the sub a lot, but then it gets blurry and overpowering really fast. What am I doing wrong? The kicks im looking for are exactly like avicii, alesso, SHM, vicetone etc.

I can't really tell you what is specifically wrong but, you could try bringing your instruments back in 1 by 1 until the low end of the kick fades out. Then you'll realize what is clashing and work from there.

Last edited:
Yeah I checked it all out and nothing is being clashed. I have an impact on the drop but it didn't really affect it. I try changing the low end kick and boost the lows but it becomes way too overpowering and the compressors used for sidechaining turns the entire song into one pumpy disaster...

I find that just starting your levels from scratch again can help. Bring everything to down, and imagine that you've been given a track to mix. It's all about balance and the key ingredients. So try with some different kicks. Maybe reference a track or two? Possibly try out your mix on multiple monitoring systems.

I find that I always make wayyyy too much space for the kick and then when i reference other tracks i realise my whole track is based around the kick (Which sometimes is a good thing).

Give those a go :)

Back