Having issues with Vocals in Song

I have 2 verses that were recorded on different days. Both are going to the same vox bus/sends with the same plugins. However, when playing back the song the the first verse sounds a lot cleaner and then the second verse sounds a bit harsh at times. So, should I not be putting them on the same track with the channel strip settings? Should I make a whole new track, add that second verse and eq, compress separately?

And, If I ever create a song on different days ... Do I need to use the same exact settings when recording vocals. Like does my inputs levels on my UAD need to be how they were when I recorded the first verse? Or does it matter as long as it’s not clipping since we can adjust the gain after the fact?

Distance from the microphone, head cold/more phlegm or less the next day, energy level-- Lots of technical and non-technical factors can effect a vocal track. Best practice is to get it all (at least different parts like all of the lead, then all of the background, all of the ad-libs, etc.) in one session, and if it's multiple takes, make sure to mark the spot for the vocalists feet and listen carefully for energy level and watch peaks/meters.

As for after-the-fact "fix," I would make a new track for that section, transfer settings and plugs for a starting point, but use EQ and volume if necessary to try and isolate what the issue is and match vocal tracks between the two for consistency. "A-B" between the two, using the vocal take you like as the model to match the other one to.

GJ

Last edited:
I have 2 verses that were recorded on different days. Both are going to the same vox bus/sends with the same plugins. However, when playing back the song the the first verse sounds a lot cleaner and then the second verse sounds a bit harsh at times. So, should I not be putting them on the same track with the channel strip settings? Should I make a whole new track, add that second verse and eq, compress separately?

Sounds like the best solution here. It happens a lot with vocals it's the most dynamic, changeable instrument there is... so it's always hardest to mix.

And, If I ever create a song on different days ... Do I need to use the same exact settings when recording vocals. Like does my inputs levels on my UAD need to be how they were when I recorded the first verse? Or does it matter as long as it’s not clipping since we can adjust the gain after the fact?

You don't need to use the exact same settings but you should aim for a consistent overall sound in terms of brightness and dynamic range... given the performance, of course.. a louder perfomance should be louder than a quiet one.
You can of course fix everything later on.. but the less time you spend fixing shit the better it is!

Back