Guitar Recording [Help!!]

RzRbeats

Hello everyone,

I recently got into sampling and stuff like that,so I wanted to make my own samples in some way,e.g guitar samples,but I have a sh*tty 5 euro mic,and that causes me some problems,For instance,I record a guitar sample through Audacity and always tend to get a loud hissing in the background,I tried cutting some trebles off,and it sounded much better,but the sound was kinda drowning,how can I take the hissing away without affecting the guitar sample melody? Thank you in advance!

best solution is to use some form of noise removal that samples the background noise and then uses one of several methods to counteract that noise

Or better yet, try and figure if there's something that's actually making that noise (other than the cheapo mic & too much gain on your mic pre). Your ears quite happily adapt to all kinds of background noise, so you might not even notice stuff like the computer's cooling fan, air conditioning or just ambient noise from outside. The mic doesn't adapt; it always "hears" the same way.

Last edited:
true but going through a cheap microphone or cheap cabling can be even more noisy - i.e. it is the whole recording chain not just the starting point that introduces noise to the recorded signal

Thank you for the responses so far,I have an acoustic guitar and a cheapo mic with a ts cable plugged into my interface,there's a lot of ambience in the room I record though,the pc cooling fan is extremely noisy and when even if I shut my window,there's still a lot of noise,I will try unplugging the fan and see how it works.

Do you, by chance, have any xlr, trs, or ts cables plugged into your interface?

Here are the cables I'm talking about. Everything you were Afraid to Ask about Cables

I don't think that the op has an interface; but yes, if you have other cables plugged in, and those channels are open, you have a very good radio antenna plugged in, contributing to the noise that is in other parts of your signal chain

to op:

what is your interface?

can you afford to get a better mic using trs or xlr connections?

do NOT unplug your pc cooling fan we do not want you to fry your pc as a result of trying to fix the noise issues

have you considered moving yourself and your guitar to another location in your room to somewhat isolate the noise you can hear? increasing the distance by double halves the received spl of the noise source at the mic

Last edited:
A similar thing used to happen to my speakers if connecting a 3.5mm dual xlr to a silver quarter inch adapter to put into the headphone jack. No noise at all if gold plated xlr to trs cables were used at the back or front of monitor/headphone jacks for some reason. I mean no hiss, no noise nothing.

How many fans does the computer have? Just one? Definitely don't take it out, but see if there are controls. I had the same problem and then found controls on the front to turn down the fan speed. They looked like screws sticking out though, so the controls might be a little subtle if you have them available.

Also, don't try to cover the computer with anything like a blanket to muffle the sound. At least not until we know what we're dealing with.

A similar thing used to happen to my speakers if connecting a 3.5mm dual xlr to a silver quarter inch adapter to put into the headphone jack. No noise at all if gold plated xlr to trs cables were used at the back or front of monitor/headphone jacks for some reason. I mean no hiss, no noise nothing.

mini-xlrs? really - they exist and are used in pro audio for connecting radio transmitters to headset mics etc, but I think you mean 3.5mm trs-dual RCA

@ op: what is the polar pattern of your microphone (if you do not know do not worry)?

if it is omni-directional then you really should reconsider getting another mic that is either cardioid or hyper-cardioid in response pattern and setting everything up so that the rear of the mic capsule is pointed toward the noise sources in your room - this will improve your ambient noise rejection immensely

note that all mics are omni-directional at some frequencies but are designed to reject sound (i.e. have polar patterns other omni) from the rear ands sides at most other frequencies

Back