guitar micing

L

logancox

For some odd reason i am getting a very thin uncomfortably treblish sound from my guitar tracks. I'm not a stranger to recording so i know im not doing anything wrong (mic placement and such.) Im using an sm57 to a roland vs-1880. Well... i just need some ideas of what im doing.

just to clarify, this doesn't happen when you record other stuff with the same gear? Like vox f'rinstance?

Just trying to see whether it's you or the equipment.

KasioRoks.

First peice of advice .... don't use an SM57

For incredible guitar sounds use 2 condenser mics AKG C3000 will do and they are cheap.

1st mic ... place this next to the bridge and angle it so it is close ( 2" ) at the B sting and pointing up parrallel to the body so viewing along it it pointing towards the D string at the nut.

Second mic at the 12th fret and angle it so it is pointing towards the nut away from the first mike.

Muck around with the positions and the pan of the two tracks and you will get a sublime sound.

Alternatively buy yourself a Takamine and DI it , they sound great :)

me again

its only guitar and to the other guy im not miking acoustic but thanks anywaya for the help. im using a marshall jcm 900 and a mark johnson mirage gt

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you placing the mic in front of the amp? Also, the amp itself, if you sit down level with the speakers, what is the tone like?

the tone is good all around and i even make sure its got alot of bass and less treble. im placing the mic about six inches away from the speaker just off-center. really i think it is the mic. i dont know how. it is really old and has been through alot. the wiring on the inside looks like it is or already has come undone. so im guessing its that. ill just keep working with it and i need a new sm57 anyways. thanx for all the help. ;)

Try putting the mic right next to grill of the amp. I'd guess it's the mic, but if you can try some EQ before it hits the tape/harddrive and see if that helps beef it up. Otherwise? get a new mic. If you're looking to drop cash, but not too much, go for an AKG414. about $500, but good for recording pretty much anything.

Uh , I just assumed it was acoustic as I normally DI an electric through one of those LinePods or AmpFarm in ProTools.

6" is to far too get a bass proximity effect , so try moving your mic closer in to about 2-3" and move it towards the edge of the speaker cone , and angle it outwards slightly away from the speaker. This will roll off the high frequncies and help subjectively bring up the bass.

If the amp has 2 speakers make sure that you are on the outside of 1 and well away from the other. If you are between them the two will introduce phase combing and could cancel out the bass close in if the speakers are out of phase.

A technique which can be used with 3 mics to get MONSTER wall of screaming sound guitar , is to build a tunnel on the front of your amp by putting 3 peices of covered wood together ( so they aren't reflective ) , the tunnel should gro wider as it goes out. Put a good condenser mic at the mouth of the tunnel ( about 4' from the amp ). One mic close in as I suggested above . and one mic stuffed in the back of the amp near the cone magnet pointing down towards the floor ... SM57 is a good mic for these last two ( sorry for the confusion ).

On a mixing desk , gate the two SM57s from the ambient mic channel so that when it gets the sound it opens up the 2 close mics. You may have to reverse the phase on some of the channels to get a good sound ... but when you get it it is sooo punchy.

All the best

thanks for all the help. i got a new sm 57 and i also positioned my mic as you all said and it sounds great. :cheers:

Back