Guitar amp heads direct to mixer?

S

Solon

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has tried plugging a guitar into an amp head and then instead of going to a speaker cabinet, go directly to a mixer to be recorded? I want to DI but also get the sound from the amp head... should I be using a DI box before the signal goes to the mixer? or is this setup going to overload my channel?

Cheers

Don't do it .
You will blow the sh!t out of your mixer and possibly the amp head too .
What head is it ? (it may have a line out socket)

You can actually do it but the sound quality is normally a bit buzzy, I'd put a DI box in there before hitting the mixer

Really ? !!!!
For a 100watt amp , a rough calc returns a peak to peak voltage of 40 volt to the speaker , with about 3.5 amp at hand .
More than enough to destroy a mixer or DI .
IMHO .

Ok... well its an Orange tiny terror... is there a vst close to this amp I could use? I do have a speaker cab but it has been really abused... just thinking of different ways to wire up a guitar really... I wanted to get the crisp clean sound of the DI then add the grunginess of the amp while still keeping it 100% clean to boost then add my own reverbs etc.

As most of my tools are vst and midi for recordings I want to record the sound as basic as possible and as clean as possible to build up myself and dont have a well treated room to record in... is there any GOOD way I can treat my speaker cabinet to get a really clean sound with little reverb and room noise?

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Really ? !!!!
For a 100watt amp , a rough calc returns a peak to peak voltage of 40 volt to the speaker , with about 3.5 amp at hand .
More than enough to destroy a mixer or DI .
IMHO .

HAHA good point... I thought as much thats why I didnt try it first :)

Thanks for the info

Get a DI and a re amp box .
Plug guitar into DI , the balanced out goes to your mixer for the clean signal recording .
The unbalanced out of the DI goes to the guitar amp , mic up the amp and now you have distortion to play with .
So you end up with two guitar tracks recorded , one clean and one from the amp .

At any time you are unhappy with the distorted track , take an out from the soundcard and play the track with the clean guitar on it , plug it into the reamp box , and plug the reamp box into your amp , mic that up and adjust the sound to suit .
In other words you can take a clean guitar recording >DI>amp and replay the recording into the amp and capture it again with a mic .

So if you play the part correctly but dislike the sound , you can change the sound without having to play the instrument again .

Your amp seem to be a valve amp , do not run this with no speaker plugged into it as it could damage it .

Get a DI and a re amp box .
Plug guitar into DI , the balanced out goes to your mixer for the clean signal recording .
The unbalanced out of the DI goes to the guitar amp , mic up the amp and now you have distortion to play with .
So you end up with two guitar tracks recorded , one clean and one from the amp .

At any time you are unhappy with the distorted track , take an out from the soundcard and play the track with the clean guitar on it , plug it into the reamp box , and plug the reamp box into your amp , mic that up and adjust the sound to suit .
In other words you can take a clean guitar recording >DI>amp and replay the recording into the amp and capture it again with a mic .

So if you play the part correctly but dislike the sound , you can change the sound without having to play the instrument again .

Your amp seem to be a valve amp , do not run this with no speaker plugged into it as it could damage it .

Yep... Nice!! THats a very decent rewiring idea. Then you open up a number of options... say record a good midi guitar and then wire it thru the amp or from any other DI recorded guitar...

I also just found out about this on another forum for the DI line in option.

Bluestone Pro Dummy Load & Speaker Emulator
emersonwilliams.com

Ill look in to this a bit more but cheers for the advice

I considered posting something similar , but they seemed pretty expensive .
Probably be better to get your cab repaired , or even seeing if you can find a different cab that is suitable for your amp .
That way you have a rats arse cab for some real grit and a nice cab for sweeter tones .

DI can be bought for pretty cheap , radial engineering make some nice kit :
http://www.radialeng.com/re-products.htm

Back