Good Sounding Reverb?

A lot of times when you begin mixing people use too much reverb , this happens cause you hear a final mastered result and wanna imitate the reverb you hear
Ambient tend to change after its compressed (like in mastering)
Anyway, try using a compressor on your reverb send channel see if it helps.
You cN also use a reverb on tge channel insert and a compressor right after

There's a few things you can try that will really help.

Firstly you should always set up a reverb as a send from the dry channel to a separate bus/aux with the reverb on it (usually 100% wet on the reverb plugin), rather than adding it as an insert on the dry channel.

The reason for this is so that you can effect the reverb on its own with additional effects, EQ and automation. It also means that you can send multiple tracks to the same reverb (elements of a drum kit or vocals for example).

Once you have it set up this way add an EQ after the reverb and cut everything below say 250 - 500Hz with a filter. This will take a lot of mud out of your reverb and give you a cleaner sound. You can then try using a high shelf on the EQ to cut a little top out of the reverb, try -2dB above around 12kHz. Digital reverbs can be overly sparkly and can take away from the top end on the dry signal. You could also try adding a stereo widener after the EQ and opening the reverb up a little if necessary.

Secondly you should try setting the parameters of the reverb to the tempo of your song. One of the most important parameters is the Pre-Delay. This is how the mind determines the size of the room that the reverb is emulating, it's the amount of time before the first elements of the reverb kick in.

Look at a delay time chart and cross reference the bpm of your song. Then find a bar division in ms at that tempo that is between 20 and 100ms and use this as the Pre-Delay. This will give a dry attack on your sound before the reverb kicks in making it cleaner, it will also then have the reverb kick in in tempo with the song (the room size is sympathetic to the song tempo). To accentuate or decrease the clean attack effect, simply double or halve the ms value of the Pre-Delay to keep it in tempo.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
There's a few things you can try that will really help.

Firstly you should always set up a reverb as a send from the dry channel to a separate bus/aux with the reverb on it (usually 100% wet on the reverb plugin), rather than adding it as an insert on the dry channel.

The reason for this is so that you can effect the reverb on its own with additional effects, EQ and automation. It also means that you can send multiple tracks to the same reverb (elements of a drum kit or vocals for example).

Once you have it set up this way add an EQ after the reverb and cut everything below say 250 - 500Hz with a filter. This will take a lot of mud out of your reverb and give you a cleaner sound. You can then try using a high shelf on the EQ to cut a little top out of the reverb, try -2dB above around 12kHz. Digital reverbs can be overly sparkly and can take away from the top end on the dry signal. You could also try adding a stereo widener after the EQ and opening the reverb up a little if necessary.

Secondly you should try setting the parameters of the reverb to the tempo of your song. One of the most important parameters is the Pre-Delay. This is how the mind determines the size of the room that the reverb is emulating, it's the amount of time before the first elements of the reverb kick in.

Look at a delay time chart and cross reference the bpm of your song. Then find a bar division in ms at that tempo that is between 20 and 100ms and use this as the Pre-Delay. This will give a dry attack on your sound before the reverb kicks in making it cleaner, it will also then have the reverb kick in in tempo with the song (the room size is sympathetic to the song tempo). To accentuate or decrease the clean attack effect, simply double or halve the ms value of the Pre-Delay to keep it in tempo.

Enjoy.

Those are some good tips, but do you know how to get that specific sound that i was talking about? It might not even be reverb maybe something like multiband dynamics, just listen to the part of the song that I'm talking about and tell me what you think.

:4theloveofgod:

If you're asking about the filtering effects on the music as opposed to the reverb, it sounds like a combination of an auto-filter / phaser / flanger / EQ. It could be tempo and oscillator based or it could be automation. It's near impossible to tell exactly what they used.

"Just go to the 2:27 mark on this video to see what I mean by clean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y68UWuDmhnI"

????? :4theloveofgod:read the whole question before you answer next time. dumb dumb. I thought this was future producers but nobody knows anything lmao, I hear this effect all the time and nobody can tell how to do it wth.

sounds like a lowpass filter with a high Q setting or resonance, which is automated. check out tone2 bifilter its great for that kind of effect

"Just go to the 2:27 mark on this video to see what I mean by clean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y68UWuDmhnI"

????? :4theloveofgod:read the whole question before you answer next time. dumb dumb. I thought this was future producers but nobody knows anything lmao, I hear this effect all the time and nobody can tell how to do it wth.

Wow. :bigeyes:

Firstly, I did read the whole question and listen... and then I answered your question about clean reverbs in your thread about "Good Sounding Reverbs" in detail.

Secondly, even after that I went on to tell you what the other effect you're after is rather than the reverb.

Finally, thanks for calling me "dumb dumb". Unfortunately I'm not the one that can't tell the difference between a reverb and an auto-filter.

Not only ungrateful but rude too. Good attitude, I'm sure you'll go far.

Wow. :bigeyes:

Firstly, I did read the whole question and listen... and then I answered your question about clean reverbs in your thread about "Good Sounding Reverbs" in detail.

Secondly, even after that I went on to tell you what the other effect you're after is rather than the reverb.

Finally, thanks for calling me "dumb dumb". Unfortunately I'm not the one that can't tell the difference between a reverb and an auto-filter.

Not only ungrateful but rude too. Good attitude, I'm sure you'll go far.

:(

Back