Good eqing videos or articles?

wowfilter

I honestly have no clue what 'muddy' sounds like and no clue how much high end is too much. I'm told some of my mini bass projects are muddy. I sidechain , high pass sounds that do not need the low end , attenuate a bit around the low mid range , and reduce the frequencies of sounds that are overlapping my lead sounds. These are all things you are told you should do but the only thing I can really do and hear a difference with is sidechaining a kick and bass because usually you wont feel the kick because of the basses low end. Also , I understand you should cut overlapping frequencies that cover the lead sounds loudest or noticeable frequencies but if you have 3 overlapping a sound rather than 1 overlapping another do you attenuate frequencies more and more from most important to least important sound?

I honestly have no clue what 'muddy' sounds like and no clue how much high end is too much. I'm told some of my mini bass projects are muddy. I sidechain , high pass sounds that do not need the low end , attenuate a bit around the low mid range , and reduce the frequencies of sounds that are overlapping my lead sounds. These are all things you are told you should do but the only thing I can really do and hear a difference with is sidechaining a kick and bass because usually you wont feel the kick because of the basses low end. Also , I understand you should cut overlapping frequencies that cover the lead sounds loudest or noticeable frequencies but if you have 3 overlapping a sound rather than 1 overlapping another do you attenuate frequencies more and more from most important to least important sound?

Well one thing that's really important is what king of headphone or speakers do you use to mix? Because, I've notice you mention it's hard to hear changes in sound.

Genre is electronic and I use skull candy ear buds(I was going to make a thread asking about headphones). I mean I can notice when a huge chunk of frequencies are cut out of a song or boosted , but people say the low mids build up and I don't know exactly how that sounds or feels.

Genre is electronic and I use skull candy ear buds(I was going to make a thread asking about headphones). I mean I can notice when a huge chunk of frequencies are cut out of a song or boosted , but people say the low mids build up and I don't know exactly how that sounds or feels.

Well see I think that's your issue in this case. You need either good headphones or speakers to really hear all the frequencies regardless of what genre you make. Also notice I didn't say expensive, but they should be good ones. Almost any youtube video regarding Eqing will teach you the basics, but only experience and fair sound equipment will get you the sound you desire. :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...-dirty-south-etc/chill-hip-hop-banger-514277/

a great source of free info on a lot of mixing related: the point blank music school youtube channel. a lot of info in the internet is wrong or not really complete but since this is a actual school the people in the video's are actually really knowledgable.

Tuts :
(Youtube users)
wickiemedia
MrBillsTunes

Books :
Music Theory for Computer Musicians
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio

And less expensive monitoring headphones :
Samson SR850, Supelux HD668b, Takstar HI2050 etc (they're like $50 around but give quality of $200 Headphones)

btw. I'd suggest getting small monitor speakers because they'll give you a lot better quality than headphones and also better stereo sound (M Audio AV 42 comes around $130 in Amazon)

Back