getting vocals louder on single track without messing up other instruments

drachmas

its best to use a compressor right? theres a piano and a saxophone, but the vocals arent that loud. i messed with the eq a little bit but thats making the piano and saxophone get louder or change tone as well. would the best way to get the vocals louder while adding some clarity to it use a compressor?

Use a compressor on the instrument bus but sidechain it with the vocal. Only a few db so it's not noticeable, this will allow your vocal to stick out more. I'm still learning the best attack/release styles to go for when doing this. You can even do this with a multiband EQ/compressor so as only to duck the main vocal frequencies.

Currently I tend to go for a small ratio, about 1.5 - 2, with a large (further down) threshold, if you set a small threshold only the loudest parts of the vocal will be ducking the instruments and these parts will already stand out enough.

Use a compressor on the instrument bus but sidechain it with the vocal. Only a few db so it's not noticeable, this will allow your vocal to stick out more. I'm still learning the best attack/release styles to go for when doing this. You can even do this with a multiband EQ/compressor so as only to duck the main vocal frequencies.

Currently I tend to go for a small ratio, about 1.5 - 2, with a large (further down) threshold, if you set a small threshold only the loudest parts of the vocal will be ducking the instruments and these parts will already stand out enough.

ok thanks i will try this

its best to use a compressor right? theres a piano and a saxophone, but the vocals arent that loud. i messed with the eq a little bit but thats making the piano and saxophone get louder or change tone as well. would the best way to get the vocals louder while adding some clarity to it use a compressor?
It sounds like you're saying that the vocal, piano and sax are already mixed to a 2 track stereo file?
If the sax and piano are panned more to the sides, you can work in mid/side configuration, where you can isolate the mid/mono (vocal) channel and process
that differently from the sides (pn/sax), possibly lowering the level of the side channel.

Here's a free plug from DMG called Track Control, that will let you hear what's going on with the mid and side independently. gl
https://dmgaudio.com/products_trackcontrol.php

Check what dBu/volts you have on the tracks in the chorus when they combine, this will provide you a good indication on exactly how much signal the vocals consume and how the context influences the perception of the vocal loudness.

A great mix is great sounding not only because of great hardware headroom, but also because on top of that the arrangement and balancing ensures good gain levels.

Last edited:
Back