Gates

K

kazual

When programming my own (trance)gates with the volume controller within Cakewalk Sonar, I just never seem to get the right attack on my sounds, the start of the sample sounds good but the rest of the note on's have a slow attack which makes the gate sound less impressive.
Is there a different way to do this, which would make an aaaaaaaaah sample gate like a a a a a a , with every a sounding equally hard in attack??

Anyone?

have you tried retriggering the sample each time you want the sound and using this along with the gate, or if that is too much, trigger it every second time.
i,e if you wanted the a on every sixteenth note, then fire the sample on each 16th or try on each 1/8th instead.
might work, might not. its kinda hard to imagine exactly what you are after

Yup, I've tried that one, but when I do that next to heaps of extra work put into the gate it just does not give the desired result.
You can hear an example of what I mean in "Ascention- Someone" 12", they use a gate on a voicesample and every gate sounds equal in attack.
What I want to know is, is this a known problem when you program your gates in midi off\on note style, I've tried it with various synths(Hard and Soft) and it always seems to have the same attacktimes throughout the gate, does that make sense? ;-))

At a guess I would say the technique used is a gate with a side chain. The side chain is fed by the hihat or similar percussive effect. This is the signal that triggers the gate.

Great new site look by the way MANO :cool:

Fast too

That could indeed make a difference when it comes to attack times in gates, anyone know of a software gate Dx or Vst plug with a sidechain feature build into it?

Back