Gainstaging - Something is not right

denlig1963

Hello guy's,

I read Morning Star post a few time and been trying to follow his concept but I'm srewing up some where.

I track vocal MXL V67g to GAP Preq-73 to ur44 interface line in to DAW Studio One.

With the pre at 30db-35db gain and I set the output so the pre is not clipping and have PSP Vintage Meter set at -18db in 1st insert slot on the input channel. Now the VM is reading between -7 to -10 on VU meter but I'm peaking around -12dbfs on the input channel meter. If I add more gain to get the VM around 0VU I clip the pre. I can clip gain the recorded non distorted signal with the VM on the 1st slot in the channel. I can clip gain up to 10 to 12 db of gain to get the VM VU meter peaking around 0VU but the channel fader meter will mostly stay between -12dbfs sometimes peaking a little higher. This gives a good signal and make it a good volume for the clients headphones.

What I'm I doing wrong here? I know about gainstaging from my analog days and I know about keeping the levels low in the DAW as I try to peak no higher then -12dbfs. This has been a problem for me many years. If I get a signal that is not distorted It Is low and it only moves the VU meter to -7 to -12 but shows peaking -12dbfs in DAW. This show very low meter level in my plugins and my effects plugs. Any more gain distorts the mic pre and I'm talking all my pres.
What the heck is I'm screwing up here ? Can someone give me a little help please.
Sorry for the long post.

Thanks denlig

Last edited:
Back