Gain staging significance

psihobambi

I made a song.
I adjusted the levels as I went through and added new instruments.
I want to mix it now.
I tried to take everything to 0 and adjust gain using kicks as primary ref.
It sounds shittier then before
I is mad
I can't gain stage right
Is it really that important.
Can I just start eqing immidiately ?

I made a song.
I adjusted the levels as I went through and added new instruments.
I want to mix it now.
I tried to take everything to 0 and adjust gain using kicks as primary ref.
It sounds shittier then before
I is mad
I can't gain stage right
Is it really that important.
Can I just start eqing immediately ?

Patience is your friend.

Mixing is hard to get right, so I would not expect to be good overnight.
You want to maintain headroom on your tracks and on your master channel, so that nothing hits zero dBfs.
It does not even need to be close to full scale. Yellow is the new red.
Save overall song level for mastering.

Balancing the tracks is important to achieve with eq being a secondary concern where you can fine tune.
Learning to trust your instincts and understanding the technical side takes many songs (hundreds > thousands)
Having a room and playback system that you trust and developing your critical listening skill is importante'. Takes Time..

In the meantime, you can check out some mixing tutorials here: Pensado's Place
gl

Last edited:
I think you may have misunderstood what gain staging is.

In a nutshell, gain staging is the act of setting appropriate levels from the very start of the chain (be it vst instrument or mic to pre-amp) going into the next stage, from that stage to the next all the way to the summing of the signal at the channel fader, so that you've got headroom before clipping and a good noise to signal ratio. Even in the plugin world this makes some sense because working at extreme levels may not sound as good as working at a sensible level would, even though daws today offer a massive amount of internal headroom.

Gain staging doesn't mean that you start balancing the mix, because then you already started mixing. What I think, is if you gain staged properly from the start, with all your faders at unity gain then no individual channel or plugin should be running too hot, and they should essentially be at a pretty much even so nothing is too loud or too quiet, and everything roughly at the same level.

From that point you can start balancing your mix using only the faders because you've already set the foundation.

I honestly think that balancing the mix is crucial (after all its not a coincidence that channel faders and panning is always readily available in every mix console, analog or virtual) but after EQing and other processing you will most likely want to go back and re balance it again anyway, do don't sweat it, just go ahead and eq. :-)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys.
One more thing so I do not start a new thread..
It seems to me that when I rap without a mic in front of my PC I sound 10 times better than when I record. It's like I suddenly forget
how to pronounce words, lose the natural energy, am not on timing etc etc
Basically as soon as I get loud this happens

Last edited:
that comes with time also - especially coping with the pressure of being the tracking engineer and the performer you get to grips with it eventually but it comes back to being confident of everything that you do during the process

Last edited:
Back