Flat Sounding Vocals

caycay

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for fixing flat sounding vocals? The tone of them doesn't sound flat, it's just when the vocals first start to come in on the beat, they just sound flat, it almost kills the energy a little bit. Are there any ways I can make them sound better?

Also, how do you take out that "recorded in a room" sound out of vocals, and make it sound good in the mix?

You could use pitch correcting software..Melodyne is an example but its expensive. Look up Melodyne, then maybe try looking for software like melodyne/ Auto tune, etc..

As far as the recorded in a room feel, try experimenting with different effects.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a "real problem"

You won't be able to fix the room issue as such

As for the vocals being flat add a smidge of reverb via send fx and dial in just enough to brighten the vocal.

You may need to apply a low cut to either the send or the reverb return to allow the reverb to brighten the vocal.

Alternatively find yourself an aural exciter plugin and just barely have it heard (this by the way is the usual trick to making fx work - not in your face but subtle and barely heard)

the following are offered in no particular order of preference; be wary of the claims made for each as an exciter can be used anywhere - test and taste and reject or accept on your terms:

KVR: OneKnobExciter by musicXart studio - Details
KVR: X-cita by Elogoxa - Details
KVR: Dominion by digitalfishphones - Details
KVR: Pulse Width Modifier by Anarchy Sound Software - Details
KVR: SpectriX by Obertone Audio - Details
KVR: Erectifier by Rusty Trombone - Details
KVR: ThrillseekerXTC by Variety Of Sound - Details

You could use pitch correcting software..Melodyne is an example but its expensive. Look up Melodyne, then maybe try looking for software like melodyne/ Auto tune, etc..

you have misinterpreted the use of the word flat here

flat can mean
  • Having a level surface; without raised areas or indentations
  • The flat part of something
  • In or to a horizontal position
  • Lacking emotion; dull and lifeless
  • having lost its effervescence (sparkle as in wine or stars)
  • the same in all cases, not varying with changed conditions or in particular cases, as in flat rate
  • Completely; absolutely
  • An upright section of stage scenery mounted on a movable frame. (usually plural)
  • A flat tyre
  • British Flat racing.
  • Relating to flat racing
  • Below the true or normal pitch of musical sound
  • musical note lowered a semitone below natural pitch.
  • alternative name for an apartment in some other parts of the English speaking world
  • archaic Make flat; flatten

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for fixing flat sounding vocals? The tone of them doesn't sound flat, it's just when the vocals first start to come in on the beat, they just sound flat, it almost kills the energy a little bit. Are there any ways I can make them sound better?

in the above context it has the meaning of dull, lifeless, without energy

Last edited:
Back