FL users.. A little help with dithering and bitdepth.

steffeeh

I know what dithering is and all that.
However, here's the issue:

I produce in 32-bit float and 44,1 kHz sample rate, and export to 16-bit and 44,1 Khz sample rate.
Right, now that should mean I get bad distortion on my exported track if I don't use dither.
But... I don't, and I don't know why.

When I choose 32-bit float I go to Options -> Audio settings, and enable "Use 32Bit buffer".
But might I have enabled something else and just thought I changed the format in the project?
If so, what did I accidentally change and where do I enable 32-bit correctly?

Fl studio is natively 32 bit float (until exporting), you don't have to select anything; I think the 32-bit buffer is for eliminating soundcard playback problems. You may get some low-level distortion without dither when exporting to lower bit depth, but it depends on the sound sources, nature of the samples, etc... it might not be audible, and it's not going to be audible in the loud parts of the track; certainly it's not going to be bad distortion, and the fact that you're not hearing it doesn't mean you accidentally turned off 32-bit float (frankly I don't think you can turn it off for internal processing). But if you're exporting to 16 bit (for your final CD stage, I assume), just press dither to be safe.

Back