FL Studio mixer channels

-MFK-

I'm using FL studio and and I got a question about the mixer channels.

Often when I'm mixing my beats I like to put all the drums and percussions on seperate channels, but at the same time have one channel where i put all of these drums and percs combined together. The reason I like doing this is so that i can for example apply slight bitcrushing to all the drums/percs at the same time.

My problem though, is that when i have made seperate channels for each seperate perc, I cannot combine them in one channel without messing everything up. When I try to do this, what happens is that the seperate percs are no longer attached to the seperate mixer channels that I made earlier.

It's probably just something I'm missing, but does anyone know a solution for this?

try using the send channel at the far right of the mixer. Its pretty much the same thing as a bus and you can route separate channels there so you can add effects to all the channels at once. I'm sure there's a youtube vid out there that can explain it much easier than I can typing it. Search it.

Check out my beats:
TheTrakAddicts.com

Sorry I have to disagree with the above answer. I would NOT use send channels to create busses in FL. Sends are really designed to SEND an effect to a channel or a buss channel. Using sends let's you control the amount of FX to an instrument or instruments. Instead I would set up your own buss channels in FL and use the submix function which is the term for buss in FL Studio. It's pretty easy....I will show you how.

First create a channel on the mixer and name it drum buss (or whatever you want to call this group of instruments). For my example I am using drums, so it will be called drum buss.

Next create your separate channels for each drum sound; kick, snare, hat, ect.

Next create a submix to link your channels to the named buss.

(Take a look at my mixer set-up) You will see that the kick, snare and hat channel are all showing an output signal as well as the very first mix channel (to the left) marked drum buss. To do this simply, right mouse click on a drum channel (kick, snare or hat), choose create a submix to and choose the submix channel you created earier. That would be the drum buss (channel 1 in the picture). Do this for EACH drum sound.

Now you can control the overall volume of all your drums or apply a glue compressor (for example) on all your drums and you still have the separate effects that you applied to each drum channel going as well and still control the volume of each drum sound. For example notice the drum sounds are in the red (very bad by the way..lol), but the kick is not because I have that set at a lower volume on that channel.

This would be a better and easier way of setting up and using busses within the FL Mixer. Hope this makes sense and that it helps you or someone else understand bussing. :cheers:

Okay not sure why the screen cap will not upload, but here ya go! Now remember that I have this saved as a mixer state so I don't have to set this up everytime. I just right mouse click the channels and send them to the buss channels I already have set-up. If you need help doing this just msg me.

mymixercapture.png

my mixer capture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I have to disagree with the above answer. I would NOT use send channels to create busses in FL. Sends are really designed to SEND an effect to a channel or a buss channel. Using sends let's you control the amount of FX to an instrument or instruments. Instead I would set up your own buss channels in FL and use the submix function which is the term for buss in FL Studio. It's pretty easy....I will show you how.

First create a channel on the mixer and name it drum buss (or whatever you want to call this group of instruments). For my example I am using drums, so it will be called drum buss.

(Take a look at my mixer set-up) You will see that the kick, snare and hat channel are all showing an output signal as well as the very first mix channel (to the left) marked drum buss. To do this simply, right mouse click on a drum channel (kick, snare or hat), choose create a submix to and choose the submix channel you created earier. That would be the drum buss (channel 1 in the picture). Do this for EACH drum sound.

Now you can control the overall volume of all your drums or apply a glue compressor (for example) on all your drums and you still have the separate effects that you applied to each drum channel going as well and still control the volume of each drum sound. For example notice the drum sounds are in the red (very bad by the way..lol), but the kick is not because I have that set at a lower volume on that channel.

This would be a better and easier way of setting up and using busses within the FL Mixer. Hope this makes sense and that it helps you or someone else understand bussing. :cheers:

Okay not sure why the screen cap will not upload, but here ya go! Now remember that I have this saved as a mixer state so I don't have to set this up everytime. I just right mouse click the channels and send them to the buss channels I already have set-up. If you need help doing this just msg me.

mymixercapture.png

View attachment 31582

Damn theres no option to create a submix in FL 9.. Anyone knows an alterative solution for this?

Thanks for replies btw

Man...I'm sorry. I forget sometimes people are using older versions of FL. Well for 9 or below I think you have two options.

1. You can use an outside software that runs in FL to create mixer groups. We talked about this on here last fall before 10 came out. Here is the link for that info:

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...plers-software/mixer-groups-fl-studio-346498/

2. You could use sends like the first poster suggested you do. This method can get a little tricky, but just remember to disable the main master volume on each channel going to the sub mix channel. Here is video I found for you. Watch the part from about a minute to about a minute 30 and he will show you how to do this. Hope this helps.

Hehe I see, I'll check those links and try it out. Thanks again for all help, it's appreciated.

I learned something new. Had issues with FLstudio 10, so I reverted to 9. Has no idea you could create buses now. My initial thought was to use the sends also.

Damn theres no option to create a submix in FL 9.. Anyone knows an alterative solution for this?

Thanks for replies btw

I have Fl 9 and you can create a submix with an option. You have to right click the channel in your mixer and you will see Create your submix to and you just put it on the correct Bus channel. I think you were right clicking in your step sequencer.

If you don't have 10 you can simply create a submix manually by routing the kick bus to the drums bus for example. Remember to make sure the kick bus isn't routed to the master though. Only the drums bus should be.

If you don't have 10 you can simply create a submix manually by routing the kick bus to the drums bus for example. Remember to make sure the kick bus isn't routed to the master though. Only the drums bus should be.

Yeah I got it working this way. Thanks alot for all replies!

If you didn't get it to work....click on your individual channel....then right click on the channel you want to be Buss near the input section and click on "Route to this track only". Repeat as necessary for each individual channel to that same channel,

If you didn't get it to work....click on your individual channel....then right click on the channel you want to be Buss near the input section and click on "Route to this track only". Repeat as necessary for each individual channel to that same channel,

Good suggestion FOOT and you are right, but doing it that way the sounds would be routed to that buss channel only. You would no longer have control of each individual channel, so you could not use fx's on each channel or control the volume of each individual channel any longer. The OP was looking for a way to route everything to one channel on the mixer, but still maintain control at the individual level also.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

I have Fl 9 and you can create a submix with an option. You have to right click the channel in your mixer and you will see Create your submix to and you just put it on the correct Bus channel. I think you were right clicking in your step sequencer.

Thanks man for the info. I didn't think maybe he was clicking in the sequencer. I never got version 9, so I have been using 8 until I upgraded to 10. I thought it was new in 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

mymixercapture.png

View attachment 31582

Dude your awesome, I was routing using the send feature and i wonder why i couldn't mute all the instruments in the "buss" (not really a bus since i used send instead if submix). I completely forgot about the submix option. Funny thing is, when i firsted start mixing i would use the submix sort of as a send (not knowing how to use sends), doing the complete opposite lol.

Back