First songs i ever dropped, mixed by me any tips?

I think its real good for your first mix. I think the vocals could have more low end in them. I would turn up the beat maybe 1db or so but that than that its solid bro

This is for the first track 'who you'

I like everything, I think the delay/room choice on the vocals doesn't support the rhythm of the instrumentation though. To me it's countering your beat rhythm. I would try dryer vocals and have the instruments playing more back since it is a hip hop track that's usually the point.

We want vocals as clean and intelligible as possible and that's the problem it seems you're running into with too much fx/layering choices. The solution is subtracting what isn't absolutely essential.

Guitars/keys layer at beginning play really well together, they have just a tad of low-mid range muddiness (100hz-600hz) you could scoop with a narrow q EQ. Even if you didn't change that, they still sound good.

Keys during verses play really, really well. Very clean and present while leaving lots of space for vocals and everything else.

Snare is too snappy in top end. This is obviously a creative choice, and so I feel that given the way everything plays, it would sound better if you rolled off some of the high end on that snare/warmed it up and pushed it to the back of your mix.

Your snare/clap in your 2nd track is a lot more what I was suggesting. Just the way it's supporting in the back rather than playing up front. Snare up front is a very specific, creative choice which in my experience works 1/10 times. But if you wanna Peter Gabriel it, then Peter Gabriel the f*&k out of that snare.

Musically the vibe you've created is really smooth, very enjoyable to listen to.

After listening to the second track I've noticed a pattern with the way you're handling your vocals. You'll want to focus on making sure your vocals are intelligible rather than being effected for the sake of having fx on them. The mixes are massively good for your first songs. Most peoples firsts are like a cute puppy shitting on the carpet, it's cute cuz they don't know what they're doing, but you already have some remarkable intuition, that's awesome.

Keep it up.

-Nathan

Back