FIRST SONG, is the mixing good?

djnoceebah

not that it needs to be, but you're intro shouldn't typically be as loud/louder than the main track. Also the whole track is a little too loud. Sounds like it's clipping in some parts. I like that synth/sax melody, but I would EQ some of those middle frequencies out. Mostly because it makes an already loud track "bite" even more. That's good for a first mix tho keep doing your thing. The drums are mixed pretty good too, they sound like they sit well even with all the effects and vocals, so good job on that. ---Peace take care

Cool psychedelic sound, but it's hard to say what you're going for when it's so out there with everything being so detuned, warbly and playing the "wrong" notes all the time - in terms of saying whether the mix is what you want it to be or not. That said, the drums get a bit lost for the short time they're there & the main synth overpowers almost everything else.

The song is nice. I like soundcloud because it shows you the wave file visually. You can right off the bat notice how it goes up and down, peaking in some places and lower it others. Definitely find a "limiter" in whichever DAW you use.
It should be level across the top at all times -- which is basically what mastering is.

The song is nice. I like soundcloud because it shows you the wave file visually. You can right off the bat notice how it goes up and down, peaking in some places and lower it others. Definitely find a "limiter" in whichever DAW you use.
It should be level across the top at all times -- which is basically what mastering is.

I'm sorry but this is horrible advice. First of all, one should never do anything to the sound just to make the waveform look a certain way (not to mention since SC's waveforms are always of the same width regardless if the song lasts for a minute or an hour, they're woefully inaccurate), limiting everything so you'll get a topped-off squash of waveform will tend to sound awful. Loud, yes, but losing most of the dynamics along the way. Also, while people seem to think that mastering is just making shit loud, it's not "what mastering is" - it's more like a small part of it that's become somewhat prominent in the recent years.

That's not even a little of what mastering is. And Soundcloud's "waveform" is almost always horribly wrong.

I mean, I hate to say it, but it reminds me entirely too much of Tyler. There is no way around it, this is a Tyler, The Creator song. Mind you, other than Yonkers, Goblin is a pretty badly mixed album, and Bastard is even worse, and that was after Odd Future had all been making music for a long time. So for your first song, this is pretty damn good. But if it's really your first song, I would honestly just focus on making as much music as you can for the next few months, and worry about mixing little later.

Edit: And just cause that sounded too harsh, I sounded like Eminem the first 3 years of making music and tried to convince myself otherwise. I had friends tell me it, I even showed my friends songs that were direct rip-offs of d12 songs. I'm not saying it because I think it's inherently bad or because you won't make it in the industry or anything. If you work hard, you can do whatever the fuck you want. But this is 100% a Tyler, The Creator rip off song. Big deal. Everybody takes inspiration from somebody, and it usually takes a while for them to balance it out.

Last edited:
Back