First beat, first mix. Any tips on getting the beat louder? :/

dğkn

https: //soundcloud.com/dgknx/ocean-free-partynextdoor-x-drake-type-beat (can't use links bc it's my first post, actually a good function)
I tried to get it as loud as possible; even used flmaximizer and a multiband compressor. Did I mix too quiet/other mistakes when mixing? Compared to other beats it's just way more quiet and I'm kinda desperate atm. I even put a limiter on -0.1db because sometimes the kicks would go above 0db.

Whats good bro!!! Sounds great for a first beat! As far as gettin it louder When you mix leave some headroom in the master channel when mixing, so you can master the record afterwards.

Hello dgkn, how re you doing?

Great idea for the beat! The mixing part is not quite right but this is ok since it is your first attempt.

Here are some points:

1) The track is lacking high frequencies, in every element (don't boost it in the master channel, treat each element separately).

2) Don't focus too much on loudness in the mixing part, focus in getting the "right" volume ratios between elements and proper equalization/compression. If you really want to make it easy for the master engineer(or yourself) to make your track sound louder, you could use parallel compression/multi-band compression/soft-saturation in the main elements to reduce their dynamic range, but don't over do it because the act of reducing dynamic range can put your sounds behind in the mix if you exaggerate. Keep in mind that you have to reach a balance.

3) The low end and the low-mid seems to be overlapping a bit with the kick, in this case you could use sidechain compression with the kick (if you already have sidechain turned on, then maybe make it harder?) and also equalize elements in that region, it seems there are 2 synths/elements(maybe the toms) occupying 100hz-300Hz range while playing different notes, causing a beating effect with some harmonics.

4) Also, keep in mind the stereo field, generally low end and low-bass harmonics in the mid (advanced producers aka Dyro hahaha might disagree) and the rest balanced between mid and side.

5) Loud mixes can be reached via: Track has few elements that are heavily processed in terms of dynamics/eq OR Track has a lot of elements that complement each other and are not as heavily processed in terms of dynamics/eq

bonus 6 and 7 hahaha) If you use a multi-band compressor like Maximus, make sure to have linear filter option turned on to minimize phase issues (just if needed because this increases CPU usage). Also, don't have anything in the master channel that can affect your judgement during your mixdown session.

I'm not a "truth's holder" so concepts can vary a lot from person to person. Sorry if I said any stupid advice.

I hope this helped you, keep on producing/mixing because you have a ton of potential :D

-4ngus

Wow thank you guys, especially you 4ngus
Yeah I tried to sidechain (flstudio) but deleted it again because my kicks would adopt the effects I had on my moog bass and it would also add the volume of the moog bass to the kick. I don't know actually how to solve that problem, the sidechain itself was working tho
I agree with all your points; I thought about eqing some sounds to higher frequencies too (it probably sounds muddy because I compressed too much). The "toms" are an 808 kick that I eqed btw, maybe I should use actual toms and cut more low frequencies of it to make room for the kick and the bass haha

I definetly want to remix the track one day including your tips :D

Well, sometimes, if the beat really isn't pulling through with the rest of the track - there's the alternative method of producing the beat in an entirely different project, the mastering that separately (If u use FL, you can use Maximus to really make certain parts, like the kick, louder), then opening an audio file in your actual song - that way, you can master the beat separately to boost only the beat and not the entire track!

Really hope this helps - And I really enjoyed your track!

The DM

Yes, I use Reaper my DAW. I think you mixed the hi-hats a bit too quiet. You can try to lower the volume of all the other channels that are roaring over it. Otherwise, very nice first beat.

Back