Few basic mixing questions

Coleman1

Coleman1
So I'm into my first ever mix after making several instrumentals, and finally getting monitors to mix with. And I just gotta ask some things.
1. How do you work in your automation clips if some of them you put as volume?
2. (Most important) do you do the mixing right from the start? Like, you mix everything from the start to finish of the track, or do you bring every element into one space where they can all be played at once?
3. Is it okay that I'm constantly checking on my headphones whilst doing it on monitors, or should I do it all on monitors then start tweaking? I just feel like headphones gives me an amazing sense of subtle sounds/reverb/delay and especially just overall balance in volume. I'm New to it all, so even just letting me know how your mixing process works would help me out. Thanks :)

1. If I'm automating volume, I create automation for a plugin that has its own volume control as opposed to automating a fader on a mixer channel.

2. I listen to an entire track first. While listening I take notes (or mental notes) on things that I feel need to be fixed. From there I listen a few more times and start working on specific sounds or instruments (I tend to do some of the basic work on vocals and drums first and move on to the less dominant pieces of a mix). Before processing anything, I set levels and pan things. For processing, I general apply EQ and compression if needed first. I save other effects, like reverb, delay, and stereo processing for last. After I'm done processing, I take a few more listens to the track and make final adjustments to refine the sound that I'm going for.

3. It is perfectly fine, and I strongly encourage, for you to check out how your mix sounds through different sources. Headphones are great for panning and adjusting the stereo image. One precaution that I'd like to mention is to not rely too heavily on your headphones. There isn't a way for you to determine the frequency response of your specific set of headphones. With monitors, you can do a RTA, determine the frequency response at your listening position, and apply EQ to your output to ensure that you are more accurately hearing how your track sounds. I personally don't have a set of monitors to work with at the moment, so I use a good set of headphones. I almost always have to go check out how a mix sounds on monitors.

Thanks for the answers man! As to question one, what do you mean exactly? Because something like a low sine wave before a build up with vocals; I don't want it to be as loud and dominant there as I do with the drop, because otherwise it's incredibly overpowering when there isn't a lot of tension in that particular part of the track. That part is actually really confusing me. Also for question 3, I find that I'm constantly switching back and fourth like every minute, and I'm not sure if I should be doing this to be honest, but rather do it all on monitors then start tweaking, it's as if I'm just running around in circles doing it this way, Yknow?

Oh and one more question! Do you mix loud? I find I can always pick up on things better, but then sometimes when I have it quiet things go inaudible and I can't tell if it's because I'm not mixing the levels correctly or if it's just because I turned the volume down low haha.

Oh and one more question! Do you mix loud? I find I can always pick up on things better, but then sometimes when I have it quiet things go inaudible and I can't tell if it's because I'm not mixing the levels correctly or if it's just because I turned the volume down low haha.

Maybe its both , sometimes frequencies clash and then you cant hear both or you get a signal which isnt what you were going for . Use an EQ and try to find the problem ( don't be so hard on yourself , i mix on my own some time and still dont get every time what i do wrong ) . In order to determine loud just have a limiter on the tracks & your master track to see your levels and dont let them clip .
Hope it helped !

Thanks for the answers man! As to question one, what do you mean exactly? Because something like a low sine wave before a build up with vocals; I don't want it to be as loud and dominant there as I do with the drop, because otherwise it's incredibly overpowering when there isn't a lot of tension in that particular part of the track. That part is actually really confusing me. Also for question 3, I find that I'm constantly switching back and fourth like every minute, and I'm not sure if I should be doing this to be honest, but rather do it all on monitors then start tweaking, it's as if I'm just running around in circles doing it this way, Yknow?

For question 1 I just meant that I automate the output volume of a plugin instead of a channel fader (ex: in FL Studio I will insert the Fruity Limiter on a mixer channel and create an automation clip for the gain knob).

Also, I mix at a moderate volume (78dB spl for monitors; for headphones I just make sure the music isn't too loud). Mixing with your music too loud means that your ears will be fatigued faster. Our ears also perceive sound differently based on volume. Mixing too quietly can prevent you from hearing subtle changes. I also check to see how clearly I can hear everything in the mix at low and high levels.

2.I mix by adding elements on one another, starting with drums , bass, vocals
3. I don't move between headphones and monitors, I finish the mix on one of them and make corrections afterwards, otehrwise it migh get confusuing

I usually mix to the same volume like we're having a conversation (without shouting lol) and turn it up here and there to check out how it sounds,
but most of the time it's pretty low.

A quick tip for question 3, i would also recommend to always check your track on diffrent speakers. Such as some cheap hifi speakers you would buy at your local supermarket for example. Or your mobile phone. This will give you a good image on where your track is standing.

1. If I'm automating volume, I create automation for a plugin that has its own volume control as opposed to automating a fader on a mixer channel.

Good tip here. I actually automate the faders a majority of the time. But both are perfectly fine.

OP, if the sound is routed to a mixer track and has effects like reverb or delay, automating the fader pulls down the volume of those effects too. But automating the channel's volume does not directly control their volumes. Just something to keep in mind.

I mix at a level loud enough where sounds actually have some natural punch to them, as opposed to mixing low where I feel the need to use different gadgets to stimulate it.

Back