Holy Lamb Media & Ent.
I'm looking at this as my recording for now
on gospel male and female voices as well Holy hip hop artists, and bass guitar

1. Mic
Bock Audio 195 Large-Diaphragm Cardioid FET Microphone
$1,000

2. Mic Preamp
Vintech model 273
2-channel Class A, Transformer Balanced Mic Pre With EQ Based on Neve 1073 $1,700.00

3. Apogee Rosetta 200
2-channel 192kHz 24-bit AD/DA Converter $1,800.00

I want to add a nice compressor in here

would it be good to add a fet compressor as the bock 195 is FET mic.. or will that be overkill...

this is the defintion I found on FET compressors
FET •
Field Effect Transistor compressors use a special transistor to vary gain. FETs were the first transistor to emulate tubes in the way they worked internally. Inherently a high-impedance device, the FET compressor sounds like no other box, and not many examples exist because of the expense of the extra attendant circuitry required. FET compressors are extremely fast, clean and reliable. I like to use these on vocals where a good amount of compression sounds good or better than the same amount with another unit, and on drums for room mics or individual drum mics. UREI's 1176LN peak limiter and LA Audio's Classic II stereo compressor/limiter are examples of FET-based compressors.

would like to find a two channel version for around $1,000
the ones I'm seeing here https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Fet+compressor
are about $1,500 for a two channel unit

I'm open to any kind of two channel compressor that would work to enhance the recording chain I have posted above

the reason I'm looking at a outboard compressor unit now is I don't know if the onboard compressor will do Steinberg MR816
described here

The onboard DSP chip can run up to eight instances of its Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip plug-in (in fact, the CS in the MR-816 CSX stands for Channel Strip). When this plug-in is engaged, the two front-panel knobs on the right side of the unit are in charge of compression and EQ. Just turn the knob to "morph" through settings until you dial in the right sound -

The Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip consists of a sidechain-enabled compressor and a 3-band parametric equalizer, which can be applied to up to 8 mono input channels or 4 stereo input channels on the MR816 CSX or on Cubase tracks during mixing

I don't have a lot of experience with FET compressors other than the 1176. The nice thing about them is they are very reliable. For this reason a lot of people like them for tracking vocals - the control is fairly exacting. However, the nature of them being FET is also a reason some people dislike them for tracking vocals (myself included). You can't exactly clobber a vocal tracking with an 1176 because it's just not going to sound smooth. People that dislike them for tracking vocals tend to lean more toward optical compressors. With an optical compressor the compression is much less exact and won't be lightening fast. But you can clobber the snot out of stuff and still have it sound very smooth. So it's kind of a matter of how you like to track vocals that would determine if you wanted an FET style compressor or something like an optical compressor.

thanks for the post.. I'll look into a opto compressor
I have an opto compressor that I use for groups of guitars, vocals and sometimes drums. The Joe Meek MC2, its an inexpensive little comp but has a nice feel w/ loads of features.

I got mine new for just under $200. You won't likely find a price that good unless you really search. But its a nice little 1/2 rack comp.

But I really like layered compression on vocals. I'll usually use a combination of compressors and limiters to get a smooth lead vocal w/ lots of body and presence.

I also like the proprietary mode layer functions on compressors like RNC1733's 'Super-Nice' mode and the P1's 'Peakride'. These work well with vocals.

first off nobody answered my question about if the onboard compressor the Steinberg MR816 CSX would do the job till I cop some specialized compressor for guitars and one specialized for vocals
check the first post for full infomation on the Steinberg MR816 audio interface

looking for a compressor for guitars (bass,acoutic,acoustic) then ran into the recording chain listed above in the o.p. and then into guitar rig..

and I need something that wil work on a vocals too..going to recording a band and the lead and background at the same time so need at less two channels of compressors for them

so two channels of compression
1. acoustic guitar/electric guitar
2. bass guitar

and another two channels of compression
1. lead vocalist
2. background vocalist(s)

so I if I can find a compressor for the guitars under $500($200 like you would be nice)
and then something decent in price for my vocals for $500 till I cop the

Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5043
2-channel Compressor/Limiter with Independent and Linked Operation Modes

Last edited:
first off nobody answered my question about if the onboard compression the Steinberg MR816 CSX
No offense man, but I'm sick of seeing your wishlists floating around FP.

Just buy some f*cking gear and tell us about it when you get it.

No offense man, but I'm sick of seeing your wishlists floating around FP.

Just buy some f*cking gear and tell us about it when you get it.

I haven't post my budget list for a while..
and I just wanted to know if the compressor on the Steinberg unit would get the job done..

which has nothing to do with the budget list.. that list isn't a wish list.. as I will have everything I listed...breaking the list down by year..

and when it comes to spending thousands of dollars I think it's fair to go over and over the details to make sure I shop wisely...
I'll respect the you and the other FP'ers and won't post the list anymore.. but
I will ask for you guys opinions on things and then do my own detail research..

never brought much outboard gear and want to get the bang for my buck

when I go over to gearslutz .. I feel like man there are so many opinions on compressors I just want to get 2 channels for guitars at a reasonal price and won't have to upgrade/buy another compressor for a while..
same for two channels of compressor on the vocals..

you and other seem to have great knowledge on what's out there so I thought you and other could stear me in a direction on $500 limit on both of the compressors...

sorry I'm don't want to be a bug-a-boo thread starter.. I just thought you guys liked to talk and give advice about these things...

see if the compressor on the steinberg unit can do the job that's a $1,000 saving till I go and cop some high end compressors...
in my world saving a $1,000 is a good thing.
thanks for all the advice sir....
p.s. my gear buying doesn't start till next year actually this year is planning year.. hashing the details out year....
that's why there's so many thread on my studio gear budget...

I guess I could go in with only my own choices.. but I thought I would get some great suggestions.. that would keep me in the ballpark.. so after I cop a unit I won't feel that I wasted my money but it was a unit that would enhance and keep my upfloat to get the job done...

so this year I will practice and hopfully get everything together...

Regarding using the steinberg built-in compressors.... they are obviously digital so I don't really see any advantage to that over just using plugins.

They (or plugins) will obviously work until you get an analog compressor. But it's not quite the same thing.

They (or plugins) will obviously work until you get an analog compressor. But it's not quite the same thing.
No, it is not the same thing at all. The main difference I've noticed between plugins and analog compressors is that analog compressors consistently have the ability to make sounds bigger and more robust. Plugins however, merely push your signal down without making the sound more robust. Sure, quiet sounds get louder and maybe loud sounds get quieter. But it all occurs within the same spacial dimension and perhaps even less so.

On the other-hand what is possible with plugins that is not easily found on analog compressors is the ability to build an "upward" compression allowing a compression effect + dynamic crest factor (Peak-to-RMS ratio) as opposed to "downward" compression. There are however some hard compressors that allow this, but they ain't cheap. (Crane Song Trakker, Safe Sound Dynamic Tool Box and the TK BC1 to name a few)

@fataltone: why don't you just hire an AE as a consultant. To guide you along this project. I have actually provided this service for new studio owners a few times with great deal of success.

Last edited by a moderator:
you know the sad part is ppl have hired me to set their studio up and I done I decent job...(I think)
mostly producer/hood hip hop dudes
but they where mostly in the box folks..
I would just advice and setup
1.acoustic treatment
2.monitoring chain (monitors in the $1000 range) for a pair
3.audio/MIDI interface usually in the $500 range(using the LE software that came with it)
4. mic $500 range
5. mic preamp $500 range
6. outboard compressor for vocals $200-$400
they where on very small budgets so no serious AD/DA converters
essientially no high end stuff...
and I would give them a print out on how to use their DAW,mixing(plug-in,vst etc...)with sites like www.futureproducers.com and www.tweakheadz.com listed lol.... and maybe some future updates options.
and they usually already had a computer I would just suggest they only use it for studio use(RAM upgrades) and they would do that...
they usually already had a keyboard workstation
the introductory stuff I understand.. and they just need to bear minium
I'm looking for deals and steals along with quality..(and that inside knowledge of opinion from several ppl as we know alot of ppl only work with certain brands of unit because they're very biased.. lol

so yeah I can make alot of my own decisions but alot of stuff I never dealt with personally I thought I get some opinions from those that have...
like those ad/da converters on that audio/MIDI is trashy or the firmware is buggy and they're trying to fix it.. ie... lol
but like I said I want to thank all the ppl (chris and hakim) for at least responding to the thread)
I'm also thinking about others as I think my questions will answer other ppl questions...

I'll you know what 2 channel compressor I grab up for the guitars
and what 2 channel compressor I grab up for lead and backup vocals
(when I get them lol)
p.s. I drive myself crazy because I'm a chronic planner.. it's like a disease with me I have to go over and over a plan like a million times

Last edited:
You want a flexible tracking comp. Tadddaaa: Aurora GTC2. Done. Fet and opto circuitry along with combo mode which is like a smooth ass FET. I would forget the rest and buy this. I LOVE this comp.

Back