Feedback - finished mix on my new track.

It's a really nice mix, congrats.

Some things that I would change:

1. Love the highs, but sometimes are too harsh. Use notch EQs to cut out the harsh freqs.

2. Add some punch. Use a slow attack/quick release on your compressor to your kick drum/bass and try to make them "pump" a little.
Try to get the feeling that they hit harder. Typically pumping is wrong but for this genre why not. (Don't overdo it you don't want to create weird artifacts just let the attack go through)

OR

Use a transient designer like the SPL plugin: SPL® Transient Designer Plug-In | Universal Audio

And just use a bit of the attack knob... It's simpler but you need some money for this.
So google "free transient designer vsts"

EDIT: Found you one: digitalfishphones.com - audio freeware plugins by Sascha Eversmeier

3. Use some reverb/delay gently to glue the tracks.

Overall nice mix!

I agree with the above poster, the highs are a bit harsh at times. I also feel like it could benefit from some warmth in the low mids. If this track isn't mastered already, most mastering engineers prefer a dull high and low end because usually that is what gives the most trouble in the expansion process.

Thanks for the replies, yeah i think that would be the clap which is sounding too harsh in the upper frequencies - how would you propose i add warmth to the low mids? I could use a pop vintage warmer or some parallel processing ?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, yeah i think that would be the clap which is sounding too harsh in the upper frequencies - how would you propose i add warmth to the low mids? I could use a pop vintage warmer or some parallel processing ?

Thanks

You add warmth during tracking if you're using mics & sound design if you're using vst synths.
No EQ will fix the source. You've got to get back to the source... BUT!

A plugin that I've fallen in love with is the PSP Vintage Warmer.
This plugin is really giving an analog vibe to the mids, try it out...

But focus on the sources!

Thanks

Yeah, any tape/tube saturation emulation plugin should get the job done depending on the type of sound you're going for. I really like Waves Kramer Master Tape, does a really amazing tape emulation. If you're using Ableton, the native Saturator is a beast of a plugin.

Back