esses

K

knocsfadaze

im a new booty to recording so could anybody explain to me the best plugin to dees. in my mix i think it sounds good i just need to get rid of some of the esses in the vocals.

Last edited by a moderator:
digitalfishphones - Spitfish will do a good job and it's free

spitfish.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Presets on a de-esser?

I'm not trying to sound... uh...

I mean, there's an offending frequency (which not surprisingly, is dependent on the offending frequency), a threshold where it's going to catch (which not surprisingly, is dependent on the threshold the offending frequency is hitting) and a depth of the effect (which not surprisingly, is dependent on the depth).

There is no way to make a preset for that.

IMO/E, there's no real way to make a preset for much of anything. But definitely not a de-esser (or an EQ or a compressor). I suppose you could make presets for modulation effects... I suppose if I were looking for a slow, droning flange and I saw a preset called "Slow, Droning Flange" it would make sense that it might be a reasonable starting point.

But unless a de-esser had a preset called "Dip sibilance at 8.4k by 3dB once the threshold of that particular frequency hits around -40dBFS" (If that's the particular problem), it isn't going to be worth a bowl of warm sinus fluid.

Maybee not a preset but a good starting point for a nobbie. what freq does the sibilence usualy lay in.

knocsfadaze said:
Maybee not a preset but a good starting point for a nobbie. what freq does the sibilence usualy lay in.

download the plugin, put it on the problematic track and press the "listen" button. now move the "tune" knob around until you hear that horrible frequency range the best possible (isn't "tune" pretty obvious?!). unselect the "listen" button. finally, tune the "sense" (that's the threshold of action) and "depth" (the ratio, the amount of reduction) knobs to attenuate the "esses" while still maintaining a natural high frequency content.

without being sarcastic, all three parameters are really straight forward (without mentioning the existence of a manual). "tune", "sense" and "depth" are common english words. now, what could a machine called "de-esser" do with these three parameters? there aren't many possibilities...

knocsfadaze said:

It been said so many times.You have the best tool and it does not
even cost you a dime.Your ears.

Back