EQ on similar sounds

TDOT

I need some help, any tips on using eq to create space for similar sounds in a mix?
I know the concept it to almost have the sounds in their own lanes and space.
Is it a good idea, or does it work to almost trap and isolate a sound within a certain frequency band and for the similar sound to do the same thing but keep it out of the frequency range of the competing sound?
If that makes sense?

That's one of the reasons we have EQ (except usual shaping and cleaning), to distinguish sounds from eachother.
As long as you use your ears and let them decide, if it works - then it works. If it sounds bad - then it doesn't work.

No doubt, I know what EQ is, but I've watched people mix and people have different methods of doing things.
I could sweep bands and use trial and error until it sounds "good" but what is a good practice or tip even for when you have a mix with a lot similar sounds fighting for room.

pan first
adjust levels second
high-pass third
adjust (cut or boost) eq with a broad or narrow Q (bandwidth) fourth

Thanks bc, more so the answer I was looking for.
3. High pass, so essentially filter the lows out as best you can?
I understand it's always a good practice to do this on all your sounds? even your lows a bit...is that correct?

yes, the issues are handled better when you pan and adjust levels before attempting to filter out the lows (usually pick a crossover fre that is just below your lowest note) then eq further if needed - I'm a fan of cutting rather than boosting for the most part, but do concede the need for boosting sometimes to achieve a desired perceptual affect

I would try panning like suggested. I know i usually take off low end off a platium hit i use a lot with my style. Helps it stand out in front of the bass kick but for the most part I never use eq to seperate a instrument from another unless there is a conflict with the high end of two instruments or low end of two instruments. I'm also still learning.

Back