EQ question! :)

D

dylanf

hey guys , i wanna know how arps or small melodies can be EQ'd on top of lead synths on a drop, is it a similar way to eqing a kick and a bass as in giving the bass negative DB's and the kick the postive ones ? thanks in advance :)

Yes, it is the same way you EQ Kicks/Bass find that frequency you want to use for each instrument and treat it accordingly. (Example: Say you want your lead bright and in your face while the arp in the background. Then EQ the lead +3db up in 2k-4k region to bring it up front, and +3db 9k-13k to brighten it up. You would then do the opposite with the arp, -3db to 2k-4k, -3db to 9k-13k(I would do more like -6, not only will the arp sound more distant but the more room you give the other instrument, the brighter and defined it'll sound.)
This is just one example there are many different ways.

Here's an entire playlist for tips/tricks for layering by Freshly Squeezed Samples.
It doesn't go over exactly what you asked but you can apply the knowledge from here to your question.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnYFZbm0f2qsVhwdnDfKi2aLad12ec4cF] Layering In Electronic Music [/url]

Last edited:
Essentially, that is the idea. Dime explained the EQ side of things well enough.

Also, keep in mind that your notes matter as well. Having off-beat arps, playing the notes in another octave, etc. Doing these things will help keep your EQing to a minimum.

hey guys , i wanna know how arps or small melodies can be EQ'd on top of lead synths on a drop, is it a similar way to eqing a kick and a bass as in giving the bass negative DB's and the kick the postive ones ? thanks in advance :)

Cut out the annoying frequencies, try to give almost the same brightness and blend to taste with the volume fader.

thanks guysss <3 , helped me i guess , just a matter of experementing all

Back