EQ, Filtering and Low End

Masd775

I know this really depends on the sample but how do people eq an 808 drum? Would you rather completely cut off some of those really low frequencies (0-25hz) with a low shelf filter or would you roll of some of the sub frequencies or maybe just leave those lower frequencies in there. I've seen people use a low shelf filter then cut off a little more of those lower frequencies. I'm speaking from a hip-hop perspective. I think my mix sounds loud enough and pretty wide but there just isn't enough power around the kick and 808 drum. I've side chained and eqed the lower frequencies here and applied a filter to the 808. How do I make my kick more powerful?

Attachments

• future type beat - xans_2.mp3
    5.4 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
experiment with loudness perception (distortion/bitcrush) on busses, compensate that with the low end boom factor, it's not some magic youtube solution. just gotta keep at it, it's a science! dont stop spending time tweaking until you get the right sound, just remember to save the preset when you get it dialed in! lol

I heard nothing wrong with your kick. But if you want it to be perceived as being fatter just drop the note by one key. If you want to keep it's punch then separate the frequencies. High and mid on one channel and the low with its own.

Back