EQ and compress master track?

PeteyWinkle

Ive gotten into the habit of compressing and eqing each track separately (my computer literally starts breaking a sweat) because I feel like each track wants to accentuate and attenuate different frequencies and also because i like to adjust compression a lot during mixing. I'm wondering if anyone has made it a practice to eq and compress the master track? I almost never do. Is it circumstantial? Do you compress & eq the master track as well as each individual track? If you do use these effects on the master track, is it done before or after mixing? or both? I'm down to hear whatever thoughts any one has these techniques.

I rarely compress outside of group busses and master tracks. There's no set rule, but I beleive in compressing groups of sounds to give them all the same "squeeze"(for lack of better word)or compression of an entire track.

Just seems tedious to compress each track IMO. Although I EQ, pan, and Filter just about everything.

Last edited:
Hey, like deranged said...there is no set way, however...

When I first started mixing, I never used compression on anything at all (had no idea what it was haha)

But when I learned "what it does," I too placed compression on all my individual tracks which ended up being terrible for my mixes and cpu, but I didn't realize that until I stopped using it like that.

I found that learning "what it does" contributed almost no help to "how to use it" because like I said I ended up hurting my mixes.

Now, I simply compress group buses and the master track. Individual tracks get their reverbs and delays etc, but most importantly (especially in low and mid freq sounds) I eq so that when I send groups of sounds into particular buses to be compressed, they don't conflict with each other.

Mix mixes now are more dynamic than they have ever been and sound much more open. It's easier to pick out the individual sounds.

I should note that I may compress my layered snap/snare/clap and my kick/bass for effect before going into the buses. When I do so, it's hard sidechain compression to get some pumping going, typically playing a role in how I eq drums too.

I always find it best to add absolutely nothing to the buses or master track until the vocals are completely done and can be mixed in as well.

Unfortunately, people who buy beats off the internet rather buy their beats completely mixed and compressed...otherwise it sounds weaker to other beats. So lately, I've been adding the uncompressed outs so my clients can record their vocals without trying to get them as loud as the tracks...they can mix them to their liking, send me their vocal, and I can create a new mix and master from there.

You'll find it's less cpu intensive and may get more breath and dynamics from your tracks by not compressing so much and leaving that as more of an interesting effect on percussion instruments and as a final process in creating your mix through your buses and master.

I rarely compress outside of group busses and master tracks. There's no set rule, but I beleive in compressing groups of sounds to give them all the same "squeeze"(for lack of better word)or compression of an entire track.

Just seems tedious to compress each track IMO. Although I EQ, pan, and Filter just about everything.

yeah, that's the way to go

I'll compress an individual track to get a certain sound but for the most part I compress busses and the master to get tracks to glue together. I'll eq most tracks and usually always eq the master to bring out part of the mix

When u guys talk about compression on da master track are u talking about a "multiband compressor"?

Last edited:
Ive gotten into the habit of compressing and eqing each track separately (my computer literally starts breaking a sweat) because I feel like each track wants to accentuate and attenuate different frequencies

That is called "mixing"... very common.

and also because i like to adjust compression a lot during mixing.

typically, in "mixing" each track is treated on its own based on its own characteristics and issues and needs.

I I'm wondering if anyone has made it a practice to eq and compress the master track? I almost never do.

This is something typically mart of the "mastering" process.

...but you can compress and EQ the master. It has a very different result from EQ'ing and compressing an individual track. Difdferent purpose. Different sound. Different result.

Is it circumstantial?

If you are asking whether it is based on the particular circumstance, then, yes... like everything in music making, everything comes down to what you need in a particular situation... every mix is different.

Do you compress & eq the master track as well as each individual track?

one does not take the place of the other. Like i said above, they produce different results.

Think about this:

There is a big difference in sound between compressing a whole entire overall drum loop and compressing each individual drum separately.

If you understand how both of those scenarios are different, then you understand the difference between compressing individual tracks, groups of tracks and the master bus.

All very different things done for different reasons.

If you do use these effects on the master track, is it done before or after mixing? or both? I'm down to hear whatever thoughts any one has these techniques.

You can "mix into a compressor" or into an EQ... but then , when you remove it, your mix levels will potentially be all over the place and your mix will potentially not make any sense.

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting a better understanding of eq and compression. It sounds like the general consensus is that its common to eq each track separately then compress groups of tracks and the master track. But of course I know it all comes down to what the track is telling you to do. My next question is about bussing. I'm not really familiar with the term. Are you talking about routing certain tracks to another track which is routed to the master? If so, can someone tell me how to do this in Ableton Live? If not, can someone tell me what it actually is?...and then tell me how to do it in Live.

When u guys talk about compression on da master track are u talking about a "multiband compressor"?

I never use multibands. An EQ coupled with a compressor always gives more control IMO. Again, no set rule, but I hate Multibands and the way they destroy dynamics.

I could see them serving a purpose in backing vocals or instruments you want to appear to be off in the distance, but IMO they are no where close to a good EQ and simple compression. It could be because of the gear i was trained on, but MB Compression is like a roll of the dice and hoping you get the sound you want IMO.

Now, if you mess with presets and don't tweak everything yourself(nothing wrong with that, we all start from somewhere)I'm sure you can find some good ones in an MBC that will get you by.

IMHO: the EQ and Compressor are just tools of the game. u normally use something coz u have need for it. always ask your self whats wrong with the mix. if the answer is spectral masking, then the best tool for the job is probably an EQ. then the next idea is how do u use this EQ to solve the spectral mask? for example if its a rhythm competing with low end tracks, possibly u could be well off tuckn away some bass from the guitar with a highpass filter. so on and so on.
if u know that a track is unduly dynamic, grab a compressor. dial in the settings that rein in the dynamics.

but remember that this tools can do more than what they were initially designed for. for example if u want to punch up a snare, u could purposely reach for the compressor and have it setup with Slow attack, moderately long release, low threshold and possibly high ratio. u may even ice the sound with some tube/tape saturation.

nway in few words, always figure out why u need a tool and then figure out how to use the same tool to achieve ya set out objectives.
no offence meant.

Back