Effects & Compressors

acm

Hey, I was wondering what people do to filter or manipulate their sound? Do you use a rack-mounted filter like filter factory? Do you use VST Effects? What do you like? What are its pro's and con's?

Also, I'm curious as to what a compressor does? Why do you need to buy a compressor? What does it do? What would be different if you didn't use it?

Thanks! (onlineDJ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H FutureProducers always comes through for me) =D

From the music glossary section:

"Compressor = Device designed to reduce the dynamic range of audio signals by reducing the level of high signals or by increasing the level of low signals. "

Basically, its a necessary step in a studio, to make sure the levels are high enough but not too much (avoiding audio clips while getting a very powerful sound).

it is not really a filter, its more something used on mastering in studio.

as for your question about filters, well it depends on your platform, what you are working on (VST host, or Creamware DSP card, or PRO tools...). Filters can be distorsions, decimators (similar), bandpass freq. filters, high pass freq. filters, low pass freq. filters, a good chorus device, etc.. its very vast. The sherman filterbank 2.0 is pretty good for resonant filters by the way.

Good luck, and welcome to FutureProducers.com!
:)

ah well ! for filters u can go either the software way or the hardware way personally id go with hard ware like the filter factory and stuff
a copressor is used to keep the dynamic range of ur program material within accpeted limits and make sure that u have a good decent dry cut to master.

compressors..

dont know how much technical lingo you understand.. i dont understand much (technically speaking) .. but i can tell you in plain english that a compressor will basically act as a peak master... it will take the quieter volumes and make them louder and push the loudest volumes up to just under 0db....so it basically makes everthing as loud as it can be without distorting it... hope this helps someone..
dj dna....

Back