effects?

KingRavie

everything i know about effects i have learned from experience. i know basically what sounds like what, but i would like for someone to explain effects to me so maybe i can learn a few new things. thanks.

^^^ There ya go, also definitely use youtube! There are really no rules to this shit so just keep playing around. Figure out how you learned what you know now so you can keep finding new ways to learn about stuff. Diagnose your process and keep playing and exploring. Remember everything you read has already been acheived~ so keep exploring because you will inspire and surprise yourself!

which fx are you specifically interested in?

they can be quantified quite easily if you know your stuff

best book I can recommend for you is the Computer music tutorial

but i do have a lot of info on the topic of fx myself, that I can share links to my site to

i think all effects do is color your sounds. Like others said just play with different effects to see if they give you a certain sound your looking for...

are you trying to learn to synthesize your own sound effects for transitions and such?

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

sound effects are really easy to create basically, it just requires white noise and basically modulation of the filter cutoff and/or pitch of the oscillators...some very interesting effects can be made using sylenth1

Making Your Own Transitions/White Noise Effects - YouTube

seems like everyone read effects and interpreted it as sound effects as in special fx and such.

I think, and the op can step in and correct me here, that he was really asking about how each of the standard audio effects we apply to the signal processing chain actually work - why do we use the parameters we use, etc

that's like asking if the C manual written in 1969 by Kernaghan and Ritchie is till relevant - of course it is, even though we have moved on to C++, the underlying pinnings of the language remain unchanged and therefore still relevant

The computer music tutorial is a thorough treatment of all things to do with computer music, including synthesis methods, various effects typically used in music/audio processing and a lot of background dsp information that you can't find in similar books under several $100's

the link I give is to a copy that is delivered at that price, which is not true of the amazon link, however, there seems to be some discrepancy in price as amazon owns the other company now - predatory pricing perhaps?

thank you all for the help and links. im looking for the science behind effects really. im looking for explainations on how they work. things like "sound effects are really easy to create basically, it just requires white noise and basically modulation of the filter cutoff and/or pitch of the oscillators" are real helpful. i was looking for how the effects we use work. should have been more specific i guess. i mainly go by ear on everything i do too.

Ok, so you are asking about lifts and drops and such, very different to the original wording of the question - I'll leave others to jump in on this one then

do you have sylenth1? i can teach you how to do basic risers and falls and teach you what parameters you need to use and explain to you why such parameters are being used and how they affect your sound...as i've said in my previous post, sound effects are really easy to create basically, it just requires white noise and basically modulation of the filter cutoff frequency and/or pitch of the oscillators...amp envelope settings as well as the modulation envelope settings will determine you raw sound...the rest comes down to experimenting with playing with different cutoffs, modulating the pitch of the oscillators using LFOs can create some interesting sounds, using effects such as phasers, etc works well too...

let me know if there is a specific type of sound you're looking for

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

forgot to mention...there are some youtube tutorials to help you get started...i customize all my sound effects for each track based on the transition in question...then i apply processing and effects and render the files so as not to use up too much CPU power hehe... i usually use anywhere from 10-25 different transition effects and it can take a toll on CPU power if applying lots of effects on your sound effects

Yo+Dawg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3-fNbvlKEE

Back