Echoed Filter Cut Off Technique

SimonT

Hi All!

Can anyone explain a good method of doing a filter cut off but delayed (I think) in quarter notes (it's just 4 beats I wanna delay on the 4th bar of a 4 bar sequence.). So the string melody plays for 3 bars then I want the last bar to muffle out but in increments on each beat of that bar.

I'm automating the cut off on the NN-XT patch in Reason and I thought I would just put automation points on each beat in the last bar and reduce the automation line on each one but it doesn't sound quite right. It's close but no cigar.

Would you gate the filter cut off or sidechain it perhaps so it ducks?

I've just put a delay on there and just automated it on at that point and lowered the frequency cut off and it's close. I got an interesting affect if at the same time if I also raised the resonance via automation so it was the exact opposite of the filter cut off, as the frequency was reducing the resonance was increasing by the same amount.

Thanks!

Hm. I would have said just automate. Do you really mean a filter sweep, or a volume fade, or both? Can you point to another example of when someone else used the effect, so we might hear what you're going for?

GJ

The issue isn't the filter cut off (muffling out) effect. The issue is getting it to pump as it goes. It's just something I hear in my head. I'm very close.

Can't think of a track off the top of my head that has the effect in it. I could post a section of my song I suppose with how close I am now in it.

I'm kind of thinking I may need to change the melody at the end and use delay at the same time as automating the cut off but what I'm hearing is like a filter cut off going down with a pumping (ducking) effect. I will post what I have now when I'm at home in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you can use an envelope follower and have it set-up to control the filter; then you would just draw in your volume automation points, and have the EF work the filter effect:

Envelope Follower | Learning Modular

YouTube

YouTube

GJ

After you said that, I looked at FXpansion Etch Red (known as Etch in the vst world) and in this video I'll link here, the guy demonstrates exactly what I was after at 3m35s onwards.

YouTube

That would be a good idea. Also have a read and watch the "auto-wah" video, as that might get you even closer. "Pumping" though is usually associated with side-chaining compression...

GJ

>>>>
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by rhythmgj I'm wondering if you can use an envelope follower and have it set-up to control the filter; then you would just draw in your volume automation points, and have the EF work the filter effect:

Envelope Follower | Learning Modular

YouTube

YouTube

GJ

After you said that, I looked at FXpansion Etch Red (known as Etch in the vst world) and in this video I'll link here, the guy demonstrates exactly what I was after at 3m35s onwards.

YouTube<<<<

Ah! Excellent, mission accomplished.

GJ

Well actially I've just thought (seeing as the video of Etch Red used an LFO) that 'cause the string patch used is on Reasons NN-XT that I could use LFO1 on that. It seems entirely possible looking at a video just. LFO1 can modulate the pitch, the filter and the level (amplitude) using 6 different waveforms of the common types, triangle, ramp up, ramp down, square etc. Can't wait get home try this now lol!

I'm still struggling getting this exactly right and can't recall where I've heard the effect. It's obviously in a track or an FX patch somewhere.

Here's a link though to the strings I've used. The pattern originally continued on the last bar of the 4 but I think I need to just stop the string chord and make it long like I've done in the following link.

Strings by creativemind75 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

There are 2 loops of the 4 bar string section there and the first one just has a long chord at the end (4th bar) and the 2nd one has the long chord at the end but muffled (filtered) out.

If anyone can help here. Tried delaying it, hasn't worked. Sidechaining is the next thing I'm gonna try.

Last edited:
I think I know what you are going for. First problem is your ending note of the phrase should be single. You last note where you want the echo to begin, instead of having two 16th notes, just end it on the ONE so: dada dada da dada dada da dada dada da DA. (Instead of dada). Next, I didn't hear any delay. I would say set your delay mix to 40-50% wet. Feedback to 4 repeats. Then just automate the filter to taste. Please post results.

I think I know what you are going for. First problem is your ending note of the phrase should be single. You last note where you want the echo to begin, instead of having two 16th notes, just end it on the ONE so: dada dada da dada dada da dada dada da DA. (Instead of dada). Next, I didn't hear any delay. I would say set your delay mix to 40-50% wet. Feedback to 4 repeats. Then just automate the filter to taste. Please post results.

Hi, thanks for your help.

Just revisiting this track. Not worked on it for 3 weeks or so.

Still struggling to get the effect I want.

I took the SoundCloud string clip off again. I've just uploaded this example to You Tube so people can see properly. I've filmed the Rack in Reason.

YouTube

As you can see, I'm getting closer lol! I was automating the frequency parameter on the NN-XT at the top (Freq, Res, Attack, Decay etc) but now I've added an Envelope Controlled Filter as you can see underneath and automated the Frequency on that. I've also changed it to one note as you advised which is better. I have the DDL-1 Digital Delay Line (which is a mono device I was told if that makes any difference) set to 4 steps so it echoes 4 times within the bar.

You will also see the Release at the top of the NN-XT is automated as I found that helped a little when I experimented with getting the note more prominent as it delayed but all the way down was too much so I automated it 3/4's of the way down.

As I say, I'm getting closer but it still isn't there yet and not sure why still.

Last edited:
Yeah it's audible I think but just not much. Well I've tried changing the filter and delay around and it's made no difference. I wonder if there's too much release on the string patch. I've now automated the release so it's all the way down (not 3/4's now) and it's a touch better I think. Still not getting what I want though.

I'm wondering if I should just cut and paste 4 bounced parts and then just reduce the volume on all 4 parts in specific amounts and then filter each one separately with more filter applied to each one or sidechain the filter? Gotta go out now so will try that later.

Last edited:
Back