Easiest DAW For Recording Vocals?

3Dios

All I’m trying to do is record vocals to a beat and be able to edit and add effects and transitions and all that

I have FL 12 producers edition right now but it’s kind of complex for recording imo it’s easier for creating beats

GarageBand was pretty simple when I had a Mac a couple years ago but I now have a Windows 10 PC

Any suggestions?

Pro Tools is NOT the best Daw for recording vocals... It's impossible to say that, c'mon. What about Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Ableton, or even Garage Band? The fact is, just about any Daw can record vocals extremely well.

If your Mic placement is wrong or your gain structure is wrong, it doesn't make a difference what DAW you're using asst that point.

Mic placement, Mic quality, preamp quality, and gain structure are all far more important than what DAW you're using to record your signal.

Don't get me wrong... If you like pro tools, and it works for you, great. Nonetheless, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Ableton, Garage Band etc; all of these DAWs are capable of recording the EXACT same quality signal that pro tools software does.

3Dios, use whatever daw you choose;-) All will come with a bit of a learning curve if they are foreign to you... FL or Garage Band are more than sufficient, but it comes down to what makes your workflow most comfortable to you.

Avid is definitely the best at one thing... Charging you for every little micro transaction they continue to create... Great products, but there is way too much competition on the market these days to call them the best at anything any longer.

Pro Tools is NOT the best Daw for recording vocals... It's impossible to say that, c'mon. What about Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Ableton, or even Garage Band? The fact is, just about any Daw can record vocals extremely well.

If your Mic placement is wrong or your gain structure is wrong, it doesn't make a difference what DAW you're using asst that point.

Mic placement, Mic quality, preamp quality, and gain structure are all far more important than what DAW you're using to record your signal.

Don't get me wrong... If you like pro tools, and it works for you, great. Nonetheless, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Ableton, Garage Band etc; all of these DAWs are capable of recording the EXACT same quality signal that pro tools software does.

3Dios, use whatever daw you choose;-) All will come with a bit of a learning curve if they are foreign to you... FL or Garage Band are more than sufficient, but it comes down to what makes your workflow most comfortable to you.

Avid is definitely the best at one thing... Charging you for every little micro transaction they continue to create... Great products, but there is way too much competition on the market these days to call them the best at anything any longer.

Protools is the best. I use Ableton, it is my favorite DAW for producing I use it everyday... But never for vocals, why? No real playlist system... Tab to transient? Nothing... Don't even talk about time warping.. It doesn't even come close to elastic audio.. And editing.. No DAW compares to protools in terms of editing audio, the tools that protools has for audio editing, the workflow, etc is just the best. Also let me tell you this, you know why most studios use protools? Cause first of all it is extremely reliable. It will not crash, it is extremely rare for protools to crash... It is not uncommon for Ableton to crash though. Or logic... I use logic and cubase as well, no comparison. Yeah of course the sound is the same... It's not about that, You can get the same sound with all Of them... But you will end up with different vocals in all of them because of the workflow and tools they offer, and in my experience (I've used a lot of daw) I always end up with better stuff in protools in terms of vocals. Same sound tho
Also, on the pro side, when you are dealing with expensive gear, the integration protools offers for this and for large format studios is just better to me

Last edited:
What that's does pro tools have that others don't?... Waves, izotope, slate.... Adobe, buzz , fish, selig, Melodine, auto tune?

Not trying to start a flame war or nothing just getting info. I've had some of my best recordings on protools but not because it was just the best....

Also let me tell you this, you know why most studios use protools? Cause first of all it is extremely reliable. It will not crash, it is extremely rare for protools to crash...

I'm glad to hear Pro Tools has never crashed for you, but I've had a number of different error messages using Pro Tools (particularly, that i'm running out of CPU power), instances where Pro Tools would just shut down or fail to open....

All of which occurred on a PC that I had just gotten done assembling, which was more than suitable for running games at top specs at the time.....:sigh:

Don't get me wrong, I still like using Pro Tools. It's workflow for recording is pretty intuitive. Everything you would want to do is right there in front of you, but that's just workflow. Plugins are the things that will really alter your sound, and most DAWs will accept third party plugins, so even if the DAW came with weak plugins, you can probably upgrade those later.

Mess around with your friend's DAWs, check out youtube videos, get some trial downloads, etc..........and figure out which workflow works better for you, and which one you can afford right now.

You want a better sound? You'd be better off upgrading room acoustics, buying a different mic, preamps, stuff like that.

I would say everyone can make the best of what they have. If you know your daw you can get a good vocal recording in any of the main daws

Back