Drum Miking Techniques

TM Productionz

Hey I was just wondering about something.

I just got my first set of drums last year and I'm learning how to drum and I've been making beats for almost 12 years now so I wanna record my own drum samples.

What are some good drum miking techniques as far as getting that "BOOM BAP" "J dilla" style sound?

I'm also gonna invest in some drum mics does anyone have any suggestions?

I want my kicks to sound deep and punchy and thuddy but I don't want them to sound like they sound when I play them, (Regular) they sound too rock and roll I want that boom bap sound with the kicks and the snare (Especially the snare) that sound in the snare that doesn't have so much decay in it like a rock snare or band snare.

I also wanna just learn about drum miking in general can someone help me? Pardon me if there's a thousand threads on this im just too lazy to search lol

Not too many here, TM. There are some good resources all over the Web and on YouTube, but you'll want to look at not only miking, but also tuning.

A simple way to start would be with three mikes. Do you have a mixer or interface with that many inputs? You may want to start with dynamic microphones, so you don't also have to worry about phantom power (condensers need power, dynamics don't). Probably the least expensive, workhorse pro level mike you can get would be a Shure SM57. Two of these could be your stereo overheads. Then you need a bass drum mike; something a little bigger designed to pick-up the lower frequencies better. There are a bunch of choices, but you might want to start with Shure or Audix.

If you have the cash and the mixer/interface inputs, then you might want to get four microphones. This will allow you to have a separate mike/channel for kick and snare, while still having two overheads for toms and cymbals. As to styles/techniques, Google "Stereo Pair," "ORTF," and "Glyn Johns Technique" to get started. Dynamics mikes will aid you in getting a bit more "lo-fi"/Dilla-type sound as well.

Those are the basic basics; the rest are just adding more mikes for different techniques. Of course, you'll need cables and stands as well. So a $600-$1000 budget would be a good place to start (SM57 = about $100 a piece, say $200 or so for a bass drum mike, plus stands, cables/accessories). If that's too expensive for now, you could go really lo-fi and try it with one microphone. These can be fun and challenging recording sessions.

As to tuning, experiment with different bass drum beaters, slackness of head, and various amounts of padding, from nothing to a blanket to a pillow or fully-stuffed bass drum. For snare, you probably couldn't get a better primer than this (language alert, though): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ht2JgVdHQdw

Enjoy and let us know how it goes,

GJ

I found this video to be pretty helpful for general info with mic setups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPPhmyBIi6k

The couple of times I've recorded my own drums they sounded pretty grimy (not in a good way) so I had to supplement them with layered drum samples to get it right, it was super time consuming. Occasionally I've recorded just the hi-hat for beats with a sm57 and it turned out well...

>>>>Occasionally I've recorded just the hi-hat for beats with a sm57 and it turned out well...<<<<

And that is another great technique to add realism and feel to programmed/sampled drums! Also only requires one mike...

GJ

Sorry, but if the drum kit, especially bd and sd, doesn't sound right by itself you might tune, mike, equalize and whatever more it won't sound like an old drum kit heard on old recordings.

True, in the simplest literal sense. But if we don't try and learn how to do things, we'll never grow and move on in our skill level. There are ways to record "vintage sounding" drums. But that starts with recording drums.

When you started producing music on your computer, what if someone said to you-- "Sorry, if the DAW, software, plug-ins, and hardware you have aren't exactly like ___________'s (Skrillex, Dead Mau5, Avicci, Dr. Dre, Metro Boomin; whatever-whoever), you'll never make beats that are any good," how would that have been helpful to you?

GJ

I used to use an AKG kick mic, a load of SM57's and a balanced pair of AKG C1000's and get a decent sounding kit... This was a dozen or so years ago mind... Been a while since I even spoke to a drummer (thank Christ!)

C1000s' would be a great start for some pro condenser overheads. Maybe a little pricey and probably phantom power just "one more thing" for the OP to avoid until he gets his feet wet...

GJ

C1000s' would be a great start for some pro condenser overheads. Maybe a little pricey and probably phantom power just "one more thing" for the OP to avoid until he gets his feet wet...

GJ

To be honest - since then I've used the Rode M3 (although not on a full kit) which in my opinion is a better mic... And much cheaper.

Back