Doubles/Harmonies For Hooks

D-toks

Hi,

Just wondering if any artists, tracking engineers, etc. could share some general tips they have found useful for recording overdubs/doubles/harmonies for hooks? I.e. in general how many, amount of straight doubles vs higher and lower harmonies, etc.

Also if it helps I'll be recording some songs in the styles provided below. To my ears it sounds as if there is maybe only a single double being used for the hook in the first case, and in the second case it seems there is nothing at all for the first hook but the second time the hook comes there is either a double tracked higher vocal or there is some plug in effect/eq being used...I'm not sure which, or if I'm wrong about what I'm hearing in one or both examples. Any guidance would be much appreciated. I know it comes down to personal preference to a large extent but I would still like some guidance in hopes of becoming more efficient with respect to my recording work flow and have more assurance in knowing I haven't under-recorded and I haven't wasted time over-recording either. Thanks.

Last edited:
Depending on the genre, i at least like to double the main vocals. If it's pop, I have 1 main vocal, one upper harmony, and sometimes a lower one. On top of this, I'll have the singer do a third and a fifth above and below. That way, it leaves the middle octave for the main vocals alone and the thirds and fifths give it some nice body. Hope this helps!

Awesome thanks for the insight Hamstank. So we're just talking about the hook/chorus like I was speaking of right? I.e. when you say you double the main vocals we're only talking about the hook and not everything else right (i.e. verses, bridges, etc.)?

That's a cool concept. I think the 1 double, 1 upper, and 1 lower may be a good way to go and keep things controlled. Between a 3rd and a 5th, which if you had to choose adds more noticeable value?

Awesome thanks for the insight Hamstank. So we're just talking about the hook/chorus like I was speaking of right? I.e. when you say you double the main vocals we're only talking about the hook and not everything else right (i.e. verses, bridges, etc.)?

That's a cool concept. I think the 1 double, 1 upper, and 1 lower may be a good way to go and keep things controlled. Between a 3rd and a 5th, which if you had to choose adds more noticeable value?

Yep! I was just talking about the hook mainly, but there may be some cool emphasis you can do on certain lines in the verses or bridge by adding a harmony. The fifth is more noticeable (adds more of a contrast) but I think the 3rd gives it more power (since it's so close to the base). You could try something like adding thirds on key verse lines and then for the hook going all out with all three harmonies but it's definitely something worth playing around with! I like to do my harmonies out on a plain piano VST just to get it sounding right (and to not have to fumble around when the artist is recording). I recommend getting all the harmonies you can on the hook as painlessly as possible and playing around with it after. Best of luck friend!

Thanks a lot usually that's what I do I just freestyle the harmonies because I don't write them out I just do them and say I'll deal with it after but then I over-record and look at the crazy amount of harmonies I have to sift through in the aftermath, and although yes you get some super cool combinations, it feels a bit...inefficient to do things that way. I'll try your suggestion out with regards to the third and fifth. In the end I think maybe putting in that little extra to get the full triad going for the chorus may be better than forcing myself to choose between the 3rd and 5th.

Back