Dont you hate when

haha yeah, happens all the time. You can try to avoid it but inevitably somebody will record in a "studio" and the "engineer" will make a horrendous two track mix with everything overlimited and distorted...

one time I made a beautiful mix for some guys of a really good song we did together and then the music video dude uploaded it to youtube in mono, drives me crazy every time I hear it

I've only had one mastering engineer munk up my work. I didn't have ultimate control over who got the gig or what they did, so that's how it goes, I guess. Problem is that track wound-up on a couple of comps, so it's on like three albums (with no bass and ice-pick high end).

I make a beat every week for a rapper that's aired on a sports network. Every week, the mix is torn apart. Just gotta roll with it cause at least that rapper is using your beat you know? You could have the nicest sounding beat, but if it's only in your DAW, it's not doing you good

TV audio guys do things to audio for their own purposes, not for best possible pure listening experience. If you ever listen to a live concert recording that is also telecast, and compare the mix that's on TV, and the one on the record, they will be very different. This isn't because the TV engineers are hacks (although I suppose some are, just like in any profession), but because sound and picture (and commercial needs, and lots of other factors) are different from sound alone.

Yea that's almost as bad as having a certain type of beat in your head and you start making it and it sounds good... but then it starts taking an unexpected turn and you go from a hard ass banger to a soft ass r&b track... happens to me a lot haha

Last edited:
It happens all the time but at the end of the day beggars cannot be choosers. When you become a more established artist you can make better choices on how to use your beats or to whom you sell them.

But till an artist reaches that level he must give up a lot of things that he would do differently if given the choice.

Back