Does Soundcraft make quality mixers?

Mannas

I am looking at getting a mixer for sampling and for recording from my MO6 and MPC. I was wondering if Soundcraft makes good quality mixers. I am looking at the Soundcraft Compact10. It has RIAA preamps as well. Has anybody used this mixer or had experience with their products?

750-Compact10_img_top.jpg

I've never really messed with most of their pro-sumer level stuff, but I've always known Soundcraft to put out decent quality gear. Their preamps and EQ's are normally a nice step above the competition in the same price range.

Why not go straight into the MPC instead? Mixers are good to have but if you only need it to go from one line out to another line in you might be better off going in straight.

I would but I'll need some sort of preamp for the turntable, right? Are you suggesting to go turntable-preamp-MPC and bypass the mixer?

Thanks for your help Massive.

Last edited:
Was I wrong in thinking the MPC had a phono amp also?

I don't mean to discourage the purchase of a mixer. With a setup that is likely to expand, mixers are always great to have. I always encourage the purchase of a mixer for routing, monitoring, and recording where applicable.

You always want to keep the signal chain short but it shouldn't hurt much to have the mixer there though. The reason why I recommended going straight from one thing to another is because if that's the only reason is was going to be used for, then a mixer was unnecesary. If you have multiple devices that you might record into the MPC, then a mixer is good to have though.

Mannas said:
The 4000 has Phono inputs but the 1000 I'm looking at getting does not.
ive got a 1000 with a numark ttusb running straight into it. for $170 the numark has a built in pre. i only use this one for sampling. check it out if you dont have one yet, its pretty solid.

There are a lot of good reason to incorporate a mixer or surface of some sort into the signal path, part from the reason outlined by Sleepy of routability and monitoring.

The possibility of being able to control the audio in terms of processing is one very big advantage.

Being able to run dynamics on the inserts and efx on the aux's is a great way of manipulating the audio prior to sampling. It allows for variety and colour.

However, a poor mixer will degrade the signal and introducing another device in the audio path also colours a signal and introduce noise, that may not be desired.

Another option is to use your computer to direct the audio in and out, and that entails all processing as well.

Decisions.....decisions....fun this industry huh?

Mixers and DAWS

I never realised one could use an analogue mixer with digital streams until recently when we had a consultant come in to look at our studio.
A resulting BIG spend later we have a live room with a stage box whixh supplies a 24 channel ALLEN&HEATH analogue mixer, which sends into
Protools and then out again to A&H for mixing and then saved in Sound Forge for mastering.

None of this I would have known was possible.

The improvement in sound quality is recognisable. Now we are in with a chance of making good recordings rather than struggle to make something out of digital.

Food for thought?

dolecek1 said:
Soundcraft mixers have very high professional quality
*SOME* Soundcraft mixers have good quality. Others are junk.

i have experience with two, my big console and the 12 channel 3rd tier prosumer mixer.

the console i'm ecstatic about of course, but it's from '81 and was built 100 percent in the US - not to mention it's been modded a good bit too. almost a completely different company, really.

the 12 channel affair is pretty close in capability to the Allen & Heath mixwizard, at a similar price point. they both sound pretty similar, but i found a bit more control at the strip level with the A&H. I'd recommend that if you can swing the price tag.

I'd go with that also. The old 2020's and Europas - Even the live consoles -- Those had it under the hood. The new small format consoles (and most of the Spirit line) were less than wonderful. Between a small-format Soundcraft and a AH MixWizard, I'd probably go with the MixWizard also. A little noisier on the preamps, but nicer sound overall.

Mannas said:
I am looking at getting a mixer for sampling and for recording from my MO6 and MPC. I was wondering if Soundcraft makes good quality mixers. I am looking at the Soundcraft Compact10. It has RIAA preamps as well. Has anybody used this mixer or had experience with their products?

750-Compact10_img_top.jpg
Not trying to jack your thread, but how do you like that MO6, I'm thinking about buying one.

Last edited:
NOt tyring to jack your thread, but how do you like that MO6, I'm thinking about buying one.

Not a problem. I love the sounds but I'm getting more into sampling. I'm looking at selling it and getting an MPC. It's on Ebay right now. Let me know if you're interested.

Mannas said:
Not a problem. I love the sounds but I'm getting more into sampling. I'm looking at selling it and getting an MPC. It's on Ebay right now. Let me know if you're interested.
I'm looking to get rid of my MPC 1000, maybe we can work something out. PM me if you interested.

Hiya people!
Yeah, we all seem agreed.Soundcraft ARE good. (Allen&Heath just as good!)
Now I have a sad decision to make. Because I cant figure out how to configure my SOUNDCRAFT 328XD ( the Rolls Royce of Digital Mixers for which I paid £2500 in 2004) with my DAW (Protools/PC) I am going to have to get rid of it. (Go on line and search 328XD to learn all about it!). My Soundcraft has Lexicon Reverb and Compression and the E strip etc. It really is the last word in 32 channel mixers.
What do you think I should ask for it plus delivery?
Sad in defeat,
MAX

24th October
HIYA FP`s,
Re the SOUNDCRAFT debate. Hope this does not sound disloyal.I have decided to sell my Soundcraft RollsRoyce, my 328XD with its famous "e strip" and Lexicon effects. I have never actually used mine but a pal has one and I know they are awesome. My reasons?
I cant spare the time to research and configure it for the DAW we use, which Soundcraft did not cover before they stopped making these machines. SO if you want the last word in Digital Mixers, make me an offer. I paid two grand for it in 2004.
I am using an Allen&Heath 2400GL.

Last edited:
Back